How long is too long on a RPTV?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Howie A, Dec 27, 2002.

1. Howie A

Howie A Second Unit

Like I said on here before. I LOVE gaming and have been shopping for a 55' Mistu HDTV.

How long is too long when it comes to playing?
    I am talking smart playing without any dumb life bars or
    little stationary menus of course.
    Most new games have options to remove that kind of thing from the screen..
    Every salesman has a different opinion on this topic..

For anyone with this type of set just how long is too long?

2. Joe michaels

Joe michaels Second Unit

This question is the most asked of all questions. I have 2 projection screen sets and as long as I only play for an hour or 2 I have never had any problems.

Also food for thought, alot of people have went on to get really large RPTV's and don't like the way games are displayed on them.

3. BertFalasco

BertFalasco Supporting Actor

How long is too long on a Mitsubishi WS-A65 (65") HDTV?

4. Joe michaels

Joe michaels Second Unit

Like I said, an hour or two of a game probably won;t be a problem, another thing to make sure is to keep contrast as low as possible.

5. Howie A

Howie A Second Unit

Are we talking an hour or 2 per day or an hour or 2 then an hour or two break in between before going back for another hour or two??
    Because when not at work or doing home work I am either enjoying a good movie or playing my ps2 or xbox. Whether on line or not I lose myself in a game and before I even realize my fiancee comes in just to remind me, "you realize you've been playing for 2 to 3 hours."
    (at times even more but I love it) [​IMG] opps.
    BTW...
    I just signed up to beta test some more online games for Sony since I enjoyed everquest online adventures so much.
    (might not be that good for a RPTV)
    I might have enjoyed my xbox live beta as much if they released some good games for the beta version.. But they made up for it now with NBA2k3 and Ghost Recon.
    Those two rock!!

6. Jeremy Anderson

Jeremy Anderson Screenwriter

Once a RPTV has been calibrated with Avia/VE/etc. and the contrast reduced to the minimum level that still displays white, you shouldn't really have any huge problems. Luckily, many games now will break up stationary objects temporarily with cutscenes, etc.

For instance, sports games are a main offender in RPTV gaming because they're designed to emulate television broadcasts where the ticker or score is constantly present. But from what I've seen on the X-Box, instant replays, formation screens, breaks between periods, etc. remove these items long enough to prevent burn-in. I've got a Hitachi 43UWX10b RPTV. The contrast is currently set to 30 (from the 100 default). I've had 4 hour long sessions of NFL2k3, NHL2k3, Mechassault, etc. and am having no burn-in issues whatsoever. Out of paranoia, I will occasionally pop up a 100 IRE white field from the Avia disc to look for any signs of burn-in, and so far I have seen none.

The biggest thing to remember (and I can't stress this enough) is DO NOT PAUSE A GAME AND WALK OUT OF THE ROOM! If you have to pause a game, temporarily change back to regular TV or turn the set off and then switch back when you're ready to play again. My boss' kid left a game paused on his RPTV and then walked away to talk on the phone... for an hour. Voila! Permanent pause screen!

7. Eric C. Mylonas

Eric C. Mylonas Stunt Coordinator

Grounded, roughly, forever?
    [​IMG]

8. Joe michaels

Joe michaels Second Unit

9. JamesH

JamesH Supporting Actor

10. Masood Ali

Masood Ali Supporting Actor

James, that's probably the case for most older systems. After getting my GC and Xbox, I tried hooking my N64 and PSOne to my RPTV and it looked horrendous. I hope the Gameboy Player does a good job of displaying GBA games on a big-screen, otherwise I'll have to stick my GC in my bedroom.

11. Donnie Eldridge

Donnie Eldridge Supporting Actor

I've played marathon sessions on Mits 55" without a hint of burn in. Just be sure to turn down the contrast and brightness.

12. liana

liana Agent

Hitachi 43 inch hdtv + gamecube + 6 hour sessions of metroid prime =no burn in.

contrast is down to 30% or so. Just be careful.