What's new

How long is the burn in period for Digital Receivers? (1 Viewer)

Edward_M

Agent
Just a curious question if there is such a thing as a burn in period for Digital Receivers. If so how long? How about speakers? Subwoofers?

What DVDs do you use or CDs to burn in your HT system?

David Judah

Screenwriter
The changing character of sound of Solid State electronics through burn-in is controversial, but I think you'll find more that say it is due to adaptation by the listener.

Speakers, including subwoofers, do have mechanical mechanisms that can "loosen up" over time, and many speaker manufacturers suggest different lengths of "break-in" for their products.

Some companies sell special "burn-in" media, but I've always just used normal material through the course of normal system usage for my speakers.

DJ

TimMc

Stunt Coordinator
I dunno... Is there a burn-in period for a PC? How 'bout a desktop one or notebook (on battery)? Wireless phone? Satellite receiver? Microwave oven or laser printer? (OK, OK - I'll stop it at that one ;~)

There's probably more of a "burn-out" period for solid state electronics like a receiver than any perceivable burn-in period (as in, if it doesn't burn out in the first "N" seconds or minutes or days - pick your interval - then the electronics will likely last a lot longer than you do). I'd guess that maybe that's the best approximation of whatever could be called a burn-in time, too. And even then, there should be some ABX way to measure perceivable differences before burn-in might really matter.

Bottom line, it's not something that I'd waste time worrying about. My experience is that any claimed burn-in time, even for speakers, seems to correlate most closely with the stated return policy of the seller (plus one day, of course...).

JimPeitersen

Second Unit
My Panny digital receiver hasn't changed in sound character from day one (and I must have 1,000 hours on it now.)
JP

Jeremy_R

Stunt Coordinator
I have read 200-300 hours. My panasonic sa-xr10 really started sounding smoother after about 200 hours of continuous cd playback.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
If it's all digital, there should be no burn in period at all...it should never change.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks