What's new

How long is "Money for Nothing" ?? (1 Viewer)

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale
Often feel like I'm not hearing the whole of Mark Knopfler's song.
Went to the All Music Guide which lists the lengths of various recorded versions of songs. According to AMG the version on Brothers in Arms (not in my collection right now) is 8:23...but most other appearances are just over 4 minutes. Is this possible?
I was also looking up various appearances of Hush by Deep Purple, I want to hear the howling that was on the original LP. I would prefer not to have any collection that includes Smoke on the Water. I have my standards. ;)

DaveRU

Stunt Coordinator
"Money For Nothing" is 8:26 on Brother in Arms.
and 4:05 on the "Money For Nothing" 1988 compilation.

I'm guessing the shorter version is the radio edit.

Simon Basso

Stunt Coordinator
It was an edited version on the vinyl lp (vs the cd) of "Brothers In Arms", as were a couple of other tracks.

I don't recall it being as short as 4.05 on vinyl though, so there may be yet another version floating about.

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Most of the intro is cut out of the radio edit.

Also, some edits eliminate the verse:

"The little faggot with the earing and the makeup
Yeah buddy, that's his own hair
That little faggot got his own jet airplane
That little faggot he's a millionaire."

Joel Fontenot

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joel Fontenot
The LP version is 7:04 - same full intro, just some of the instrumentation at the end is trimmed out with some of the extra "...money for nothin'...chicks for free..." lines. Other songs that got trimmed on the LP version were "So Far Away" (2 minutes shorter), "Your Latest Trick" (almost 2 minutes shorter) and "Why Worry" (over 3 minutes shorter). I had to settle for the LP for several weeks back in '85 before the CD finally came out with all the full length versions.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks