How long have you left your PS2 on for?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JaremyP, Dec 9, 2002.

1. JaremyP

JaremyP Auditioning

I'm currently playing Shinobi and have made it to the last boss on 8B on Super difficulty with Joe Musashi. Given the time that I've put in so far, I'd have to say I've found this game generally easier than most of the reviews and commentary that I've read so don't let that scare anyone from playing, it's a limited but very fun action game.

But, the last boss is notoriously hard and I hate having to replay 8B just to fight him again, so I made it through 8B this morning and have decided just to leave the PS2 on until I beat him. It's much easier to just try a few times and then repause if I have to quit, but be able to come back later right at him when I can.

So, has anyone else left their PS2 for extended periods of time like this might take? Any problems experienced because of it?

2. Lee M T

Lee M T Second Unit

I've started playing my PS2 around 7 p.m. before and left it running overnight until I woke up around 10 a.m...and I kept on trucking. I wouldn't do this often though. And make sure your unit can breath. [​IMG]

3. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

Nope, never left it on for that long. Most I'd leave it paused (any console even) is for about 10 minutes. If I leave my house to drive down to the corner store, I'll still turn the thing off.

4. Trevor Harveaux

Trevor Harveaux Stunt Coordinator

At work we leave games running 24/7 to make sure nothing "bad" happens. But i wouldnt try that with one at home.

5. Joe Szott

Joe Szott Screenwriter

I've left mine on for over a day, absolutely no problems.

I also work in the hardware industry and had a hand in both the XBOX and PSX designs. Usually, a console will have a standby mode that it drops into while paused: the disc spins slower, the processor rests, etc. Standby modes create less wear and heat on the system, you can leave a system in standby almost indefinietely and it would last longer than if you were playing it and turning it on/off in that time. As someone else mentioned, make sure it is not in an enclosed space (like a cabinet) for extended periods while running and don't cover up any of the fan outlets.

As long as it can stay cool, you are just fine. But make sure you turn the TV off or switch inputs so you don't get burn in while paused (damage to TV, not the PS2).