What's new

How long has your monitor lasted? (1 Viewer)

Len Cheong

Second Unit
In my 15 years of computer use I've toasted one monitor and it lasted only 3 years(Packard Bell). I have one that's going on 10(Morse) and another that's on it's 3rd year(Sony). I get nervous around the 3rd year mark.

Kevin P

Screenwriter
I usually get at least 5 years, if not longer, out of a monitor. I have a NEC MultiSync 3D circa 1989 that still works, though it's gotten dim in its old age, and I don't use it much anymore (it's mainly an emergency spare). I had a CTX 15" monitor (hated the thing) that ran for about 5 years, and replaced with a used Sony 17" monitor in '99. I figure the Sony is about 5 or 6 years now and still going strong.

KJP

KyleS

Screenwriter
I also use mine for at least 5 years before upgrading to something else. The main point that I can tell anyone is to buy a good qualito monitor that will last you well into the future. Sure they cost a lot more but you do get what you are paying for. CTX, Proview, KDS, etc can prove to be a great value for the short term but they often dim early in life or worse yet start to roll. Buy a good monitor like a Sony, Viewsonic (higher end), or NEC (higher end).

KyleS

KyleS

Screenwriter
One thing that I would recommend is that you look at who manufactures the tube and not what company sells it. For instance Dell & Gateway use Mitsubishi, Sony, for the higher end & a cheap model for their lower end. You will notice that the standard 17" from Dell is not a trinitron but you can pay the extra 50-75 dollars to get a Sony trinitron tube (worth every penny).

KyleS

Todd Hochard

Senior HTF Member
Mine's at four (Gateway EV700- some low end re-badge), with no end in sight, and bright as ever. I wish the damn thing would break- I want a flat panel!:D

DanaA

Screenwriter
I'm on my fourth Dell 19" trinitron monitor in less than 6 months. Two broke down within a month of receipt. A third was obviously not put together correctly and returned for that reason. This fourth one seems to be working fine so far...knock on wood. As far as my other computers, I have a Toshiba that is working just fine after 6 years and a Mac that is probably over ten years old, again just working fine although it has this very tiny monitor.

Steve_Ch

Supporting Actor
My 17" SONY is going 4+ years and I think the last Dell 15" that I gave to my sister still works, and that would be close to 8 years.
However, not all is cozy in monitor land, as when I was working for one of the real major PC box company (top 5 in the world at the time, probably top 2-3 if counting OEM) a few years back, we used to toast 17" monitor every month or two. These were just beautiful monitors (and 17" was state of art at the time), but don't last at all.

MikeAlletto

Senior HTF Member
I don't like dell monitors. Have had nothing but problems with them at work. I've got a Mitsubishi at home that I think is just over year 3 and it looks as good as when I first got it.

Kolya

Stunt Coordinator
I have a three older monitors at home:

1991 - 19" Tektronix (Sony non-Trinitron tube)
1993 - 20" Sony Trinitron 20se
1995 - 17" CTX 1765

The CTX is the only one I bought new. I got it with my 2nd computer ever, a Comtrade (anybody remember them?). It started to get a little jumpy at anything over 800x600 around 1998 or so, so it's mainly just a text mode console now.

The other two, I bought refurbished in San Jose years ago, and they've been rock solid . I plan to upgrade to TFT's sometime next year, but I'm sure they'll last practically forever.

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
I have a 1999 Samsung SyncMaster 900p (manufactured December 1998). It's already in its 4th year, and hasn't dimmed at all! Still very crisp and bright. Excellent monitor. :emoji_thumbsup:

AllanN

Supporting Actor
I have a 10 year old samsung. I just had a 8 year old 540mb drive die on me a fiew days ago. I also have a 12+ year old soundblaster card that as far as I know still works.

Todd H

Go Dawgs!
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd
I bought a cheap KDS 19-inch monitor a couple of years ago and it still works like a charm (God I hope I didn't jinx myself!)

I've also got a 15-inch Mag sitting in my closet that still works as well as it did when I bought it 5 years ago.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
Up until 3 weeks ago I had a 19" Digital Research Technologies. I had it for about 5 years and it gave up the ghost. When I went monitor shopping I noticed the new MAG monitors are identical to the DRTs (which I have not seen a year or two now) - same case, same control knob, even the same menu set-up. In any case, I purchased a Samsung SyncMaster 753DF (DynaFlat).

Paul_Fisher

Screenwriter
Actually my monitor is starting to go bad TODAY. I don't know what happened. All of a sudden I get these weird lines across my screen depending on what application is loaded. I've had this monitor (Gateway EV700) for 3 years now. First I need to make sure its the monitor. I'll get my fiances monitor and hook it up just to make sure.

But it looks like I might be in the market for a new monitor. I like Sony Trinitron, anybody have any suggestions?

KyleS

Screenwriter
Paul what size are you looking for? I love the Sony Trinitron models as long as you understand the 2 faint lines a superflat A-Grill shows on a white background. I love the colors and clarity of these monitors and would buy a 20" sony if it wasnt so damn much money. :frowning:
If 17" is your game look at the Sony E240 its a .24AG if you dont use resolutions higher then 1280x1024. (around 250-300) or if you do use resolutions higher then that and want a professional grade monitor look at the Sony G220L or R models which can be had around 275-325.
19"? the Model would be the G410R and in the 21's (if you have the money the E540 or G520.
If you want to save a little money take a look at Mitsubishi, NEC, or Viewsonic but try and stay in their upper products.
KyleS

Gordon Moore

Second Unit
I've had this NEC XE17 since '93 (I think) and it's as strong as ever (today, I could buy a high-end workstation for what I paid for the monitor back then...but I've had a 17" for a long time now).

Ken Garrison

Supporting Actor
We bought a used Mag Innovision 17" monitor a few years ago. It was manufactured in 96. Then we bought a used 17" Dell Trinitron monitor and replaced the Mag with that and put the Mag in my bedroom on the old computer. The Dell was manufactured in 98 and is still going strong. But something's messed up on the Mag. It's still viewable, but sometimes, when it's cold, it'll *click* and the screen will be all stretchy. One way to fix that is the beat the shit out of it and it's back to normal. Usually, a monitor will outlast at least 2 or 3 computers. Next monitor I wanna get is a 19" Sony Trinitron. Trinitron tubes have got the sharpest picture you can get on a CRT.

Steve_Ch

Supporting Actor
For my money, I certainly cannot argue with Sony Trinitron. Kyle, the one Sony that really has me hooked is the 22" flat 9x6 aspect ratio one (forgot what the model is), it's MSRP at $1999 in the US, what a stunner. But I have a personal rule that I do not buy any monitor that I cannot carry by myself (without the box), so much for that ;) .

Chris S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris S
I too have a Dell monitor that has lasted me about 8 years now. Still fairly bright and I haven't really seen any signs of degrading, however I would really love to get a new 21 incher.
Chris S.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation562
Recent bookmarks