How long has Sony had the Chroma Bug?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Keith Mickunas, Aug 4, 2001.

1. Keith Mickunas

Keith Mickunas Cinematographer

The reason I ask is I got a Sony DVP-S3000 that I've owned for quite sometime. Personally I've yet to find a good enough reason to replace it. I recently got a PS2 so I can watch DTS title if I want to. Does anybody know if the older Sony's have the bug? I heard the 7000 didn't, and I believe the 3000 had some common parts, but I'm not certain.

2. Robert Burkes

Robert Burkes Second Unit

Keith,
    I have a Sony DVD player, but I'm about to buy a new one. What bug are you talking about?
    Rob

3. Keith Mickunas

Do a search for chroma bug and you'll find all sorts of stuff on it. Apparently a number of the Sony's, including the newer ones according to some people, have this bug, along with many other players. As I understand it, it has to do with some error when decoding the colors, and shows up as streaks in bright colors like blue and red. I've never noticed it, and I hear that if you don't know what to look for it isn't obvious, but when you are aware of it it is quite noticeable.

4. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

5. Keith Mickunas

I see they found it in the PS2, but they didn't check the 3000. If its the same as the 7000, then its good, I guess I'll have to compare the two with Toy Story and see what I find.