1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

How long has Sony had the Chroma Bug?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Keith Mickunas, Aug 4, 2001.

1. Keith Mickunas

Keith Mickunas Cinematographer

The reason I ask is I got a Sony DVP-S3000 that I've owned for quite sometime. Personally I've yet to find a good enough reason to replace it. I recently got a PS2 so I can watch DTS title if I want to. Does anybody know if the older Sony's have the bug? I heard the 7000 didn't, and I believe the 3000 had some common parts, but I'm not certain.

2. Robert Burkes

Robert Burkes Second Unit

Keith,
    I have a Sony DVD player, but I'm about to buy a new one. What bug are you talking about?
    Rob

3. Keith Mickunas

Do a search for chroma bug and you'll find all sorts of stuff on it. Apparently a number of the Sony's, including the newer ones according to some people, have this bug, along with many other players. As I understand it, it has to do with some error when decoding the colors, and shows up as streaks in bright colors like blue and red. I've never noticed it, and I hear that if you don't know what to look for it isn't obvious, but when you are aware of it it is quite noticeable.

4. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

5. Keith Mickunas

I see they found it in the PS2, but they didn't check the 3000. If its the same as the 7000, then its good, I guess I'll have to compare the two with Toy Story and see what I find.