How Long Does Screen Burn In Actually Take

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jason Graine, Apr 7, 2002.

1. Jason Graine

Jason Graine Auditioning

Hi Everyone. Great Forum you have here. I have been considering a projection TV for years now, but have just recently learned about the whole screen burn in phenomena. Now I'm having doubts because I've read so much about it and I am scared I will have to put far too much worry into maintaining it. What I want to know is, practically, how big a risk is screen burn in. Does it happen to every Projection TV eventually? What I really want to know is how long it takes to occure. I know there is variation with contrast settings and whatnot, but I want to know how long it would take under extreme situations, like I was trying to do it on purpose. So maximun Brightness and Contrast, straight out of the box playing a high static-frame video game - How Long? Also, if I were to opt out of a projection TV and buy a Sony WEGA, to what extent would the risk screen burn in be relatively minimized? Thanks for any input on the matter.

2. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

If you were trying to cause burn-in, I'm sure you could do it in under an hour. Why would you want to?
    With proper calibration and reasonable care, screen burn-in shouldn't be a problem. I'm currently into my fourth viewing year with 16:9 Toshiba widescreen on which I view a great deal of 4:3 material with gray or black bars at the sides (maybe 40% of my viewing). There isn't a hint of burn-in. But I make a point of not leaving up static images, and my set has been professionally calibrated twice (with additional tweaking by me as needed).
    M.

3. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

I am estimating that if you set contrast somewhat below where a test disk such as AVIA may otherwise suggest, screen burn is not likely to become obtrusive before something else in the set breaks.
    Generally I suggest contrast around halfway up the scale for direct view and about a third of the scale for projection TV, unless calibration suggests even lower settings.
    Video hints:
    http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

4. Kevin P

Kevin P Screenwriter

Take a RPTV with brand-new CRTs, run it with Contrast at 100% and throw up a high-contrast static image and you'll probably have visible burn-in within a couple hours.

But, turn the contrast down to something reasonable (approx. 30% on most sets) and avoid prolonged static images, especially for the first 100-200 hours and you should get many years of burn-free viewing.

A lot of burn-in horror stories come from people who kept a static image up on new CRTs before the phosphors are properly "broken in". Like a new car engine, CRTs need time to settle in, 100-200 hours at least before the phosphor wear rate settles down. They'll lose maybe 10-15% brightness in the first few hundred hours and it's important to ensure that loss occurs evenly over the entire surface. Afterward the rate of decay slows down significantly, and unless you torture the set you shouldn't experience burn-in nearly as fast.

KJP

5. Jason Graine

Jason Graine Auditioning

Thank you all for your valauble input. Wouldnt a screen run at like %30 contrast look like crap? I want to be able to enjoy this thing as much I want to keep it around for a while. Is this really worth it? BTW I'm really new to this, is a direct view TV the same as a tube tv?

6. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

7. Jason Graine

Jason Graine Auditioning

What about the Toshiba 50A61. Not HDTV I know, but I'm leaning towards it as my first set. Anything I shoud know. Thanks for the help btw.

8. Kevin P

Kevin P Screenwriter

9. SteveA

SteveA Supporting Actor

10. Jason Graine

Jason Graine Auditioning

Thanks for the input. I think I'm just going to bite the bullet and buy one. I've wanted one since I was a kid, so even I ruin the thing at least I'll get it out of my system. Cheers.