1. Visit this thread for your chance to win a selection of Lionsgate action films on UV!
    Dismiss Notice

How long does it take to set-up a speaker system?

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Seam Dempsy, Feb 8, 2004.

1. Seam Dempsy

Seam Dempsy Stunt Coordinator

My speaker system(5.1) arrives tommorow, but after school I go straight to work not arriving home until 9. I just want to find out then how late I will be up that night since I am testing them out on TTT:EE. thanks

2. itai

itai Stunt Coordinator

[​IMG] , it depends, are you gonna be tired?...
    do you have to mount the surrounds on walls? (if yes, night isnt a good time)...
    do you have enough wires? (running to the store not counted)...
    just placing your speakers on the floor and connecting them doesnt take long.
    have a nice expirience![​IMG]

3. Mike_Skeway

Mike_Skeway Second Unit

It can take a while to get everything mounted and wired up, then calibrated. You might be up late. Also, after it is all set up you will have to listen to them, that could take hours in itself. [​IMG]

4. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

If you include hiding the wires and making everything neat and tidy while wall mounting your rears and doing wall drops then it will take a while and that doesn't include calibration.

I personally wouldn't do any "testing" in regards to real movie watching until you get everything wired up the way you want and calibrated and even then I wouldn't try to blast LOTR: EE full blast for a while. I'd let your new speakers break in a bit(even if its only for a few hours).

5. Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy Producer

How long does it take:

Do you have a test DVD, an SPL meter, a measuring tape, a compass, some string, about 100 feet of quality speaker wire, all the necessary connecting wires (toslink, component video, & whatnot), the instruction manual for the AVR, and experience in setting up & balancing speakers? If so, about 45 minutes.[​IMG]

Never set one up before: Add two or three hours.[​IMG]

Speakers not broken in? Add an additional amount of hours as dictated by the manufacturer. Usually 10 to 100.[​IMG]

Forgot to buy sufficient quality speaker wire, interconnects, SPL meter, test DVD, meausring tape, etc? Plan on an additional day because you have to drive to several stores.[​IMG]

6. Seam Dempsy

Seam Dempsy Stunt Coordinator

I am going to mount them on walls but hiding wires isnt all that necessary. I am usually the only one ever in my room. I also realized testing them out will not be a possibility. By the time I finish calibrating, my parents will be sleeping. I'll just have to wait to see TTT:EE another day. Thanks for the help.