How long do you thik it will be before we start to see Criterion's of studio titles?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Gordon McMurphy, Oct 10, 2002.

1. Gordon McMurphy

Gordon McMurphy Producer

Criterion's Laserdiscs of Taxi Driver, Raging Bull, Robinson Crusoe On Mars etc were so great. So far, there hasn't really been a sizeable quantity of vintage "Major Studio" films from Criterion.
    My question is: how long do you think it will be before those major studios start to let Criterion issue their own lavish Special Editions of thier films on DVD?
    What films would you like Criterion to create Special Editions for?
    Gordy

2. Greg_Y

Greg_Y Screenwriter

Laserdisc was more of a niche market, so licensing titles, even 'bigger' titles, to Criterion made sense because they didn't have to put up the money to produce supplements up front. With DVD reaching a much larger audience, there is more money to be made. By doing the stuff in-house, the studios can keep more of the money for themselves. Disney, Columbia / Tri-Star, MGM, etc. have already been doing special editions without using Criterion (and in many cases they do them well.)

For example, CTHV did it already for both Taxi Driver and Monty Python & The Holy Grail. In fact, the commentary on MP&THG was one of the first supplements that Criterion licensed for a non-Criterion disc. Some people suggested that this was their way of responding to the 'new' market.

So my guess is that we won't be seeing many big titles from Criterion on DVD. Too much money to be made.

3. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

Answer: Never.

The reason Criterion got those projects in the first place was that the studios had no in house departments to produce these materials. Now with every studio having a LARGE dvd department and having a dozen outside production companies to choose from- the days of them licensing their hot properties off to Criterion are as dead as the dodo.

The studios will not be letting go of even a small piece of the cash cow that is DVD (which for many is beginning to exceed theatrical money). Even the Criterion/BV relationship is a glorified supplement production relationship- BV still distributes and retains every possible right.

I do know of a few majors currently considering licensing films to Criterion- but the films even being considered are more obscure old films which the studio can't justify investing the cost for the potential sales.

-V

4. Michael Harris

Michael Harris Screenwriter

What upsets me is that some of the wonderful supplements that Criterion created for their LDs will never again see the light of day since Criterion rarely license its supplements out (Holy Grail being the only time I know of) and many studios won't pay Criterion for the stuff they already produced which is too bad. So say goodbye to the excellent commentary on "High Noon", "Casablanca", etc, etc.

5. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    Vince is right about everything he mentions in his post.

Crawdaddy

6. Jeff_HR

Jeff_HR Producer

Paramount is who we need to ask about "Robinson Crusoe On Mars". I know that is a greatly requested title. There is no word from Paramount as far as I am aware on any possible release for this title. In the mean time I'll keep watching my Criterion LD.(NOT bought from ebay!!).[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    I'd like to see studios license titles they don't feel like giving the best effort to Criterion.

Sunrise: Criterion Collection, The Marx Brothers At Paramount: Criterion Collection, and Song Of The South: Criterion Collection sound wonderful!

Don't you agree, Fox, Universal, and Buena Vista? After all, it IS more logical to make money than not make money.

8. Rain

Rain Producer

9. Gordon McMurphy

Gordon McMurphy Producer

In reply to Jeff_HR:
    What was the transfer like on the Crusoe On Mars Laser? It was shot in 2.35:1 process, was it not? Techniscope?
    Well, Paramount are releasing Captain Kronos next year, so they are at least trying to please the cultists out there! [​IMG]
    Cheers, Jeff. [​IMG]
    Gordy

10. Brian Kidd

Brian Kidd Screenwriter
    Supporter

Studios are greedy. If they think there might be a potentially lucrative re-release in the future, they sure as heck won't license the property to another company. Even catalog films with seemingly limited appeal can suddenly become desirable again if one of the actors makes another movie that is popular or a remake is released. By being overprotective, the studios can guarantee that they will have control over a DVD if the financial prospects look good. The bad thing about this is that some films will never get released, because the studios will sit on them in perpetuity.

11. Jay E

Jay E Cinematographer

12. Jeff_HR

Jeff_HR Producer

13. Gordon McMurphy

Gordon McMurphy Producer

Thanks, Jeff. The prints of Crusoe on TV have always been scraggy and faded. I'm just curious about the quality of Criterion's transfer.
    The film is a real gem. [​IMG]
    Gordy

14. Jeff_HR

Jeff_HR Producer

I feel sorry [​IMG] for fans of this film who must watch it on TV. It can be terribly expensive to try to win a copy from eBay. I fortunately bought mine at retail years ago. If Paramount would quit sitting on this one (Plus my FAVORITE dragon movie--Dragonslayer!), there would be a lot of very grateful people in DVD land.

15. Andy Olivera

Andy Olivera Screenwriter

16. Bo Myers

Bo Myers Auditioning

Would it be correct to assume that Criterion sometimes releases 'major studio' films on DVD because those releases generate the revenue that allows them to release lesser-known films on DVD?

If so, I'm all for it! Most major studios have no problem dedicating 3 or 4 discs of exhaustive supplements to average-at-best films. I'm just glad that Criterion still exists as a voice for lesser-known gems.

I've always looked at Criterion as film school on DVD (or laserdisc). You don't get that same feeling from EPKs and 5 minute documentaries on SFX.

17. Jeff Adkins

Jeff Adkins Screenwriter

Jeff Adkins

18. Morgan Holly

Morgan Holly Agent

Andy,

That's incorrect. Criterion paid for production of all their CTHV releases.

19. Dick

Dick Producer
    Supporter

Rick
    Gordon: Criterion's release of ROBINSON CRUSOE ON MARS, which I acquired on eBay for about ninety bucks, is pretty decent. It has the usual laser artifacts, but the color is decent and it's a sharp image. Yes, the film is presented as it was filmed: 2.35:1. The supplements, including commentary, are also good (and will I am quite certain not be included on any future DVD release of the film). It's almost worth buying a used LD player for, and bidding on a copy of the movie on eBay.

20. Jeff_HR

Jeff_HR Producer