How long do these things last?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Danny Tse, Jun 24, 2002.

1. Danny Tse

Danny Tse Producer

I have a 100 watt/channel Sony stereo integrated amp from 1987 sitting at home. This thing is extremely heavy and build like a tank. And while it's not one of the ES-series models, it's quite a musical piece. Just wondering how long do amps last? I read about this part and that part "drying up" or deteriorate over time. I just sold my Onkyo stereo receiver and I am itching to pull the trigger for either a multi-channel receiver or one of the inexpensive SACD players.

2. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Depending on how well they are built and how well they're cared for, solid-state amps can last for decades. Though I had an old Hafler DH-200 that unexpectedly gave out on me years ago (blew an FET). Moving this to "Receivers/Amps."

3. ben hunt

ben hunt Stunt Coordinator

Hehe, sounds like me...I still have my 1986 Technics SV-96 (I think) original speakers and everything. My wife loves it...blares music all throught the house from the basement.

I guess I'll have to break it to her that I just dropped $750 on a new Denon 3802. Hopefully it will last me another 15 years hehe.

4. Justin Lane

Justin Lane Cinematographer

I have an old Pioneer Recevier handed down from my dad from the mid 70's that still works flawlessly. I was using it to drive bass shakers in my setup recently, but now it is not in use.

For the most part, if your amp/receiver does not have problems over the first couple of months, it will probably last you a good 20 years.

J

5. Laurence_C

Laurence_C Stunt Coordinator

Laurence
    I have an Onkyo Integra A-8065 integrated amp made in 1982, still going strong and sounds as clean as the day I bought it. Using it in the bedroom powering a set of Paradigm Monitor 3's. An old Sansui Manual Tuner is my main source of music in my morning wakeup/shower time.

6. Earl Simpson

Earl Simpson Supporting Actor

If it was built well, it will last through 3 owners. Trust me , you will give it away so you can buy something new. Some of the older stuff is pretty heavy duty. I gave away a Marantz(SONY built it). It went through 3 owners. My Onkyo stereo RCVR is still working in my nephews house. The Sanyo did not fair as well(#50). Protective circuit problem. JVC is my next gift to my daughter.[​IMG]

7. Geoff L

Geoff L Screenwriter

===================>
    I gave away a Marantz (SONY built it).
    ===================>

What piece is it that "SONY" built for Marantz and when?

I know of nothing that Sony completly built carrying the Marantz nameplate.

Regards
    Geoff

8. Earl Simpson

Earl Simpson Supporting Actor

Geoff! How old are you? Go back to 1977 through 1979. Sony superscope owned Marantz and built some of the finest gold plated circuit boards and equipment in the world. I had the 4400/a quad amp rcvr with a built in occiliscope and jumpered main amps, plus pre in and pre out,and on and on.
    Sony lost their shirt and sold it to Philps( I think) I have an old post on that if you can find it.[​IMG] [​IMG]

9. Geoff L

Geoff L Screenwriter

Earl,

I must apoligize, as a little research proved me very wrong. Im 44, and have owned many Marantz units and was not aware of this.

After some research ::::: a quick little diddy of pernet info.:b

Saul Marantz the founder of Marantz in NY ~"sold his rights to Marantz"~ to Superscope Inc. in 1967!
    During the period from 67 thru 70 & 80 Superscope was engaged principally in manufacture and worldwide distribution of Audio Video home entertainment products all under the Superscope & "Marantz" logos.

Today Marantz is headquartered in Japan and distributed by Marantz Amercia.

Marantz professional Audio products "are still" produced by Superscope Techonologies.
    Superscope Tech is located in Aurora Illinois 30 miles west of Chicago.

My humbel apoligizes Earl, goes to show you how little one can know even when owning the brand equipment in question.

Still have a vintage 2285-B reciever and 2 more that I picked up threw Ebay.... I use the amp sections. Beautiful recievers & power-houses. Full Silver brushed front and the Blue lighting, very classy look.

Regards
    Geoff