What's new

How long do subs last?? (1 Viewer)

Ben F

Grip
Ok I'm thinking of buying a subwoofer but my speaker set up is just a mini system. So I'm thinking of buying a subwoofer that will last a long time so when i upgrade my speakers (prob about 3 years as i'm going to uni)
I won't have to buy a new sub.
So how long did your sub last until sound quality was affected??

Vietor

Stunt Coordinator
I think I'm not alone when I say that 'upgrade-itis' is much more likely to contribute to the demise of a subwoofer then physical degridation. Unless you seriously physicaly abuise the sucker. I think this goes for most HT eqiupment, its as good as the day you bought it, but your ears just keep wanting more.

MarkO

Second Unit
Yesterday I picked up a REL Strata III. Acording to the manual the sub,if not abused should last longer than its owner. Im feeling older by the minute.

BryanZ

Screenwriter
Until upgraditis takes effect. Performance with my SVS hasn't been affected yet. Probably will need a new driver some time in the unforseeable future but my guess is upgraditis will have occured long before then.

Rich Kraus

Stunt Coordinator
well, everyone else beat me to it. subs last until you upgrade them. (im on my third.... havnt worn one out yet.)

Ben F

Grip
hehehe.....ok so maybe i should consider buying something simple first before I plunge head first into ugrade-itis!!

anyone with the sony sa-wm40 that's experiencing problems so far??

Charles J P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ Paul
I agree with others here, the only reason a sub would just wear out, is if it was in a bad environment (too moist for example). Then you could get rotting of the surround or failure of the internal amp if its powered. Otherwise, no problems. That is why I think it is important to really spend good money and get what you want for speakers. Surround formats and video formats will come and go, speaker designs have fundamentally not changed in a long time.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Hmmm, how long do subs last. Well, it depends on how large the sub is and how hungry I am. All in all for me, a good meatball sub won't last too long.
htf_images_smilies_yum.gif
:)
Seriously though, I agree with the notion here that subwoofers will easily last as long as most of us can go without upgrading. Certainly environment has a lot to do with it and how hard you work it. I've had an Energy e:XL-S10 10" subwoofer since April 2000, and it's performed like a chance. It came with a five-year warranty, and I am hoping to have it at least that long. I don't upgrade home-theater gear as frequently as stereo gear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks