How long do subs last??

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ben F, Nov 18, 2001.

1. Ben F

Ben F Extra

Ok I'm thinking of buying a subwoofer but my speaker set up is just a mini system. So I'm thinking of buying a subwoofer that will last a long time so when i upgrade my speakers (prob about 3 years as i'm going to uni)
    I won't have to buy a new sub.
    So how long did your sub last until sound quality was affected??

2. Vietor

Vietor Stunt Coordinator

I think I'm not alone when I say that 'upgrade-itis' is much more likely to contribute to the demise of a subwoofer then physical degridation. Unless you seriously physicaly abuise the sucker. I think this goes for most HT eqiupment, its as good as the day you bought it, but your ears just keep wanting more.

3. MarkO

MarkO Second Unit

Yesterday I picked up a REL Strata III. Acording to the manual the sub,if not abused should last longer than its owner. Im feeling older by the minute.

4. Bernard L

Bernard L Stunt Coordinator

as long as it doesn't run away from home... it'll be with your for eternity.

5. BryanZ

BryanZ Screenwriter

Until upgraditis takes effect. Performance with my SVS hasn't been affected yet. Probably will need a new driver some time in the unforseeable future but my guess is upgraditis will have occured long before then.

6. Rich Kraus

Rich Kraus Stunt Coordinator

well, everyone else beat me to it. subs last until you upgrade them. (im on my third.... havnt worn one out yet.)
    [​IMG]

7. Ben F

Ben F Extra

hehehe.....ok so maybe i should consider buying something simple first before I plunge head first into ugrade-itis!!

anyone with the sony sa-wm40 that's experiencing problems so far??

8. Charles J P

Charles J P Cinematographer

CJ Paul
    I agree with others here, the only reason a sub would just wear out, is if it was in a bad environment (too moist for example). Then you could get rotting of the surround or failure of the internal amp if its powered. Otherwise, no problems. That is why I think it is important to really spend good money and get what you want for speakers. Surround formats and video formats will come and go, speaker designs have fundamentally not changed in a long time.

9. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Hmmm, how long do subs last. Well, it depends on how large the sub is and how hungry I am. All in all for me, a good meatball sub won't last too long. [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Seriously though, I agree with the notion here that subwoofers will easily last as long as most of us can go without upgrading. Certainly environment has a lot to do with it and how hard you work it. I've had an Energy e:XL-S10 10" subwoofer since April 2000, and it's performed like a chance. It came with a five-year warranty, and I am hoping to have it at least that long. I don't upgrade home-theater gear as frequently as stereo gear.