How long can I watch with grey bars on the side?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brian Cal, Sep 27, 2001.

1. Brian Cal

Brian Cal Stunt Coordinator

In the rare event that I do watch one, I would really like to watch any and all 1.33:1 DVD movies in their original aspect ratio, but I'm afraid of burn in. Can I go 2+ hours watching in "Normal" mode without causing burn in?
    BTW, I have a Toshiba 57h81 and my Contrast is set at 30 and Brightness at 47.
    Thanks.

2. Doug_JC

Doug_JC Extra

My understanding is that you will not get burn-in with the grey bars. The grey bars means that area of the set is being used. Black bars are the problem. Black bars are not being used, so the area with the picture gets the burn-in effect.

3. Michael TLV

Michael TLV THX Video Instructor/Calibrator

Michael Chen
    Greetings
    Tell that to the people with graybar burn in ... I've seen quite a few of these.
    Even at moderate contrast ... 50% ... frequent use will spell burn in ... in as little as 6 months.
    Rotate your viewing modes ... and if possible ... never use the 4:3 mode.
    Regards
    ------------------
    [​IMG]
    Michael @ The Laser Video Experience

4. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

Brian, I'm with Michael. If there is no signal, then there can't be any damage, just like when it is off. Those are the black bars, but the grey ones have a signal.
    It will take many hours before you would do this. Probably a couple of hundred at least, so watching an old 4:3 movie can't hurt it.
    Glenn

5. Chris Biggs

Chris Biggs Agent

On Toshiba's web site in talking about the __HX81 series, they claim that there is imperceptible movement in the gray area that prevents burn-in, can anyone verify this? I personally will believe it when I see it.

6. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

Setting the contrast is always going to be a question of how much enjoyment you want to get out of the TV vs. how long do youwant it to last. I am suggesting contrast between 25 and 35 percent for large RPTV sets (55-70 inches, 30 and 40% for medium sets (40-55 inches( and under 50% for direct view. With 9 inch CRT's you can go higher for an RPTV becasue the ratio of CRT surface area to screen area is higher.
    With this I would not worry about watcing a lot of 4:3 on a 16:9 TV or vice versa.
    Other video hints: http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm
    [Edited last by Allan Jayne on September 28, 2001 at 11:53 AM]

7. Mark Bendiksen

Mark Bendiksen Screenwriter

8. Brian_J

Brian_J Second Unit

I think he means rotate your viewing with normal tv.
    Brian
    ------------------
    Zed's Dead Baby...