What's new

How long before we see the movie (1 Viewer)

Bill Buklis

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bill Buklis
There was an HBO movie about the WTC car bomb. This one was very informative and rather tastefully done. It was more like a documentary then a movie. If a movie is made about this disaster, then hopefully it'll be along those lines.
------------------

LarryDavenport

Senior HTF Member
As I said in another thread, I hope it's at least 20 years.
But I have a question: If in a couple weeks or months one of the networks came out with a DVD about the tragedy and included all the different angles of the crashes, would you buy it?
Personally, I wouldn't. I erased my tapes of the Challenger explosion and assination of Lennon a long time ago.
------------------
These chicks know how to party! - MoJo JoJo

LarryDavenport

Senior HTF Member
Bill: Only six people died in the 93 bombing and it didn't effect the nation as a whole (ie. it didn't shut down air traffic and the stock exchange, or cancel sporting events and concerts, or shut down film/tv production).
------------------

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
I think it depends what you mean by a 'movie'. When (if?) the full facts are ever known, I can see the BBC or similar doing a dramatised documentary of the events leading up to the atrocity; it is the sort of thing the BBC at least tends to do well (and yes, it will be respectful). I can't see a problem with this - people have a right to know why such events happened, and if this can be done in an easy-to-follow way, then provided obvious consideration is given to sensitivities, then why not?
What I hope and pray we don't get is a 'big' movie of the tragedy, i.e. standard Hollywood schlock starring some piece of brainless beefcake single-handedly and ahistorically solving the problem (think John Wayne World War II movies).
On a related point, and please don't misinterpret this as tasteless, it's not intended to be. No-one can have failed to notice that the plane went into the building before exploding. Special effects in movies up til now have tended to present aircraft as exploding when they first hit a building. How long before special effects in movies start adopting an 'enter building and only then explode' special effect?

LarryDavenport

Senior HTF Member
A couple of my old film school friends and I got together this weekend and the subject of a possible WTC Attack film came up. Our consensus was that it would be pointless and couldn't possibly be any good.
Pointless because there is so much actual footage of the crashes themselves (how many angles were there?) that any speccial effects recreation would pale in comparrison. Armegedon and its ilk looks so cheezy compared to the TV footage we've seen this week.
Hearing the stories from the people who were there are so much more powerful than any possible recreation. I'm afraid if you tried to dramatize the people's story you would wind up creating schlock on the level of the Towering Inferno or Earthquake. (I also think that if you showed the actual hijackings themselves you would stir up even more race hatred than what we've seen already).
I think that a tastefully done documentary along the lines of Hearts and Minds, to be released after "the war" is over, would suffice, and probably win the Academy Award.
------------------

James_Kiang

Screenwriter
Just wanted to add some of my thoughts to this thread. First, while there is no movie of the Oklahoma bombing made at this point there has been an attempt to make one. It was reported on one of the entertainment news shows (admittedly not guaranteed to be 100% accurate) not too long ago that the producers wanted Noah Wyle of ER to play McVeigh but he had no interest in it. Do I think someone will attempt to make a movie based on the WTC attack? As many have pointed out, histroical incidents tend to be made into movies sooner or later so I expect this will get the same treatment. I do agree that this won't happen anytime soon though - this won't be exploited (and shouldn't be) like say the Elian Gonzalez situation was shortly after that was resolved. Finally, I have noticed that some people here and in other places are suprised, even angered, that people are talking about "trivial" matters so soon after this tragedy ocurred. If I felt there was an air of disrespect towards what happened or those who are suffering because if it I would be right there with them; however, I don't feel that has been the case here. People deal with disaster in different ways. Some people turn to the activities that they enjoy to seek comfort and solace from a world that has been turned upside-down for them. Personally, I don't find anything wrong with that.

LarryDavenport

Senior HTF Member
I have no family and only a few good friends. Trivial matters is about all I have to hang on to.
------------------

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
Special effects in movies up til now have tended to present aircraft as exploding when they first hit a building. How long before special effects in movies start adopting an 'enter building and only then explode' special effect?

I was thinking along similar lines yesterday, during a conversation with someone about the crash footage.
If I had seen that crash in a movie, it would have looked fake to me! The way the plane just seemingly blended with the building before it exploded was something that I had never seen on film before, and since, fortunately, I like most other people have only seen this kind of things in movies, that was my only reference.
If nothing else, it was a good wake-up call that Hollywood doesn't deal in truthful depictions of events, it makes them up so they will look good on the screen.
/Mike

Coressel

Supporting Actor
My original answer to the title of this topic was "CNN, ABC, CBS, NBC and FOX."
I'd like to add "Entertainment Tonight" to that list. I just saw that over-produced, over-hyped garbage program presenting this horrible tragedy as if it were a movie.
"COMING UP NEXT... (dramatic music...)"
It makes me sick.

Mitty

Supporting Actor
There was a movie about the Oklahoma City bombing, called Link Removed .
Wanna know how I know? It's on TV right now here in Canada on a network called WTN (Women's Television Network). It seems inappropriate to air this now.
IMDb doesn't designate it as a TV movie, but it sure looks like one.
[Edited last by Mitty on September 17, 2001 at 11:48 PM]

Jeremy Illingworth

Supporting Actor
Some people said that many movies have been made about tragic events that at the time would have been unthinkable. The Titantic's sinking was mentioned. The first movie about the Titanic came out about a month after the event. It starred an actress who was on the actual boat. I believe there are no complete copies known to exist. I don't have the book in front of me right now but if anybody wants more info speak up.
jeremy

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
Jeremy, I think you're right; I seem to recall seeing a brief fragment of the Titanic film on a documentary once. There were similar things done with other contemporary events of the time.

Brad_W

Screenwriter
I think it'll go a sumfin' like this:
(think titanic and pearl harbor [titanic 2 by jerry "I can't make a movie to save my life nor an original one" bruckheimer and Micheal "I just let the editors of MTV direct my films" Bay]
10 years from now...
guy and girl brush by each other each day in office at WTC. They are attracted to each other, but don't tell each other. Just as their love blossoms and what not, disaster. One lives, the other: their memory lives on.
Yes, this is crude/harsh, but think Hollywood big bucks, superficial plot, and cashing in on ANYTHING.
------------------
"I was born to murder the world." -Nix (Lord of Illusions)
My Home Page http://www.geocities.com/masternix/DVD.html

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks