How Long Before We See ST: TOS on 5 DVD Set?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Lin Park, Dec 10, 2001.

1. Lin Park

Lin Park Second Unit

Now that I've collected all of these, I'm sure this will be announced by the end of this week. Has anyone heard anything about this?

Thanx,

Lin

2. Michael St. Clair

Paramount has expressed that they don't think such a move would be received well by those who collected these discs.

That said, I speculate that it could happen, but not for at least a couple of years, maybe longer.

I could see the single-disc versions going out of print after a year or two, then box sets appearing a year later.

Or, by the time they do it, HD-DVD may be out!

3. Mark_Wilson

Mark_Wilson Screenwriter

This is the only reason I haven't bought TOS on DVD. I bought one DVD just to see how the picture and sound were. I'll wait until I can get them in a box set, hopefully like the xfiles sets so it doesn't take up so much room.

4. Lou Sytsma

Lou Sytsma Producer

Lou Sytsma
    That's what I am waiting for as well. Sorry to those that collected all 40 volumes but that is too much for me to swallow.

5. Joel Fontenot

Joel Fontenot Supporting Actor

Joel Fontenot
    This is Paramount you guys are talking about.
    You'll be waiting a long time for anything else TOS related. Goodness, they've now got 3 more series (and a 4th on the air) to work on getting out. Do you really think they are going to go back to the first series again anytime soon?
    Nothing says they can't release an additional 1 or 2 disc DVD supplement as a bonus at some later date. Although I don't hold out hope for a supplement, I certainly don't expect the series itself to be released in any other format for a long, long, long time.
    Joel

6. Tony Scello

Tony Scello Second Unit

All indications are that we are in for a very long wait(at least two years)before Paramount would even consider revisiting Star Trek:TOS on DVD in seasonal box sets with extras. They appearently do not want to upset customers who spent a significant amount of money on the 2 episode/disc DVD's. Paramount has been reluctant to revisit any of their titles(I'm not sure I would count Apocalypse Now Redux as a revisited title) while other studios have revisited some titles 2 or 3 times. On the one had, it is nice to know that, currently, with Paramount your going to get a solid anamorphic widescreen transfer if nothing else and you don't have to be concerned that a special edition/ultimate edition will be released in 4-6 months at the same price point. On the other hand, some of their early, non-anamorphic, releases cry out for better treatment and supplements. We'll most likely get the other Star Trek TV series in seasonal box sets but because TOS was released before the box set phenomenon combined with the above mentioned reluctance, we're stuck with what is currently available. This is the only TV series I would want in it's entirity but am unwilling to shell out the cash, to say nothing of the shelf space, to own it in its current format. I'm planning on waiting as long as it takes to get seasonal box sets with extras of ST:TOS.

7. Michael St. Clair

The current discs are single-sided, single layer. They could keep the same masters with new menus and go RDSL for 4 episodes per disc. Throw in a supplimental disc per box and you are done and ready to ship.

And I'll bet you that sales for the new boxes would top Voyager, and maybe DS9. Maybe even TNG!

I know many Trek fans and only one sprung for the current releases. Many of these people have VHS or LD collections and need a better value proposition to bite on aquiring TOS again.

But, like we said, Paramount knows that this would ruffle some feathers, so it ain't going to happen soon. Too bad, in my opinion. I'll buy the boxes when they are ready! I quit buying the singles after the first 2 discs...