How long before my heart gets stronger from exercising w/ a stationary bicycle ?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Matthew_V, May 14, 2003.

1. Matthew_V

Matthew_V Stunt Coordinator

2. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    Do you have a heart rate monitor? You should measure your peak heartrate and resting heart rate, before, during, and after your biking. Perhaps make some kind of standard regimen like say 15 minutes of hard pedalling at a moderately high cadence (# of RPMs per minute). If you stationary cycle has a cadence meter on it, great, if not you can average it a stopwatch or you can buy a cyclocomputer that measures cadence (Most of them don't but the more expensive ones do).

With the heart rate monitor (HRM) you can measure how hard your heart is working and you can track your progress. I don't think it'll measure how "strong" your heart is, that might rely more on genetics and other factors, but the HRM will tell you how good a shape your heart and pulmonary system is.

As far as the sweating goes, personally, I don't believe it, I think I sweat like a pig but then all my bike friends make fun of me cause it doesn't even seem like I break a sweat on some of our rides. Too many factors involved simply to equate more sweat == more in shape. I've seen some grossly overweight people sweat more than me, if that means anything.

Jay

3. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

4. John Harrison

5. Bry_DD

Bry_DD Second Unit

I suggest you see a doctor first before you start exercising because it might be more serious than you thought.