What's new

How long before a tv show comes to DVD? (1 Viewer)

Angel Pagan

Second Unit
It's good to see shows that are nearing the end of their run (Simpsons, X-Files, Friends, etc.) released on DVD as boxed sets along with shows from years past (All In The Family, The Larry Sanders Show, etc.). But how about shows that are new to television? I'd love to see Alias, Smallville, Six Feet Under and 24 all released but don't think it'll happen yet. The Sopranos and Sex in the City have been around for 4-5 years and the season 3 DVD has been announced for both shows. I see that the Smallville pilot will be released on DVD. I'd hate to have to wait 2-3 years to get the season 1 DVD for these great shows. I know that Fox can pull off a great boxed set for 24 since they've done a great job with X-Files. Same with HBO on Six Feet Under since they've already done Sopranos & Sex in the City. ABC is owned by Disney. Have they done any boxed sets? And how about Smallville?

Angel

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
You're going to wait a lot longer than that. Except for things that only air on Showtime/HBO, shows typically must wait until they've been played in syndication before you can pray for a box set

So guess a minimum of Season 4, if not 5 before you see season 1 on DVD. This MAY be changing, we very well MAY be getting Angel Season 1 before Christmas, but don't count on it

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
I would love to see a faster TV to DVD process, but I too think there is little hope of such a fast turnaround. I'm thrilled one of my favorite series - Six Feet Under - should hit in November. I wish Stargate were coming out as fast as Queer as Folk though.

Syndication doesn't work for me really. I don't watch strips and they generally delay the DVDs. Selling my favorite show to me will not cut down on Syndication viewership, because I'm not part of it.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
I think with the growing popularity of tv shows on dvd. We will see more syndication deals that allow the shows to be released quicker on dvd.

Angel Pagan

Second Unit
Dark Angel just got cancelled after only 2 seasons. Should I still hold out hope for a DVD release?

Angel

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
You can buy DA from Japan right now

Queer as Folk has no syndication market, SG-1 does. That's why QAF was out almost immediately while SG-1 took 4 years

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks