What's new

How Long before A Re-Mastered Gone With The Wind? (1 Viewer)

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
There is nothing wrong with GWTW.
Hey Robert,

I hear you say this, however when I watch the current disc projected on a large screen I find it *very* hard to look past the horrible edge-enhancement and mosquito-noise/compression artifacting that is a real distraction in the faces of the characters and details in the image. Nothing "film like" about that at all!!!

Looks to my eye that, all digital wizardry asside, the film would be better served on DVD simply by doing a better job with compression and having the producers resist the urge to "enhance" detail via artifical electronic sharpness.

BTW, perhaps the new version of Singing in the Rain isn't as true to the original projected experience as one would like--but neither is the older DVD IMO. Viewing the previous DVD a large-screen display the 3-strip alignment problems produce a pretty obvious (distracting) green-edge to objects in many scenes (most viewers would never notice this on anything smaller than a 50" screen...but it's CLEARLY a problem at 100"). Given this, I hardly think that this previous DVD constitutes how a 1950's theatrical projection would have looked either!

-dave :)

p.s. Thanks for the good news regarding Chicago! did you happen to notice if the DVD had DTS audio??? I just saw this film in NYC over the weekend and was really impressed!

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
My comment regarding the fact that there is "nothing wrong with GWTW" refers to the film elements and the fact that they do not have any major problems which would interfere with a full and proper restoration.

Brian W.

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
From today's Digital Bits, in the column "Forty Years of Past Academy Awards":

Rumoured for late 2004 (the 65th anniversary) is a deluxe Gone with the Wind edition with a new transfer and supplements that might include 90 minutes of cut footage.

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
The soundtrack on the current release is also missing a couple of lines...most notably a line from the first scene "It isn't true." You can barely hear it in the background, but in the 1989 re-release it was there...also when Scarlett is at Twelve Oaks and Ashley rides off on his horse you can only see her lips when she says "Ashley, oh Ashley"...again in 1989, you could hear her words, and these lines are in the screenplay.

SteveP

Second Unit
The extra lines that appeared on the 1989 release were the result of the folks at Chace Productions working from the "International" soundtrack master.

On the U.S. master soundtrack, David O. Selznick post-dubbed some lines in which Vivien Leigh's line readings were a mite shrill. This track, from a newly discovered optical element, was used for the 1989 video master.

George See

Second Unit
I'm not knowledgeable enough to comment on all the technical aspects of restoring a film. But I can say that the current GWTW dvd looks pretty bad on my new TV compared to my older set. I've found that my new tv makes good material look great and not so good material look worse. I would definently classify GWTW into the not so great category. I've seen older films that looked better. And Certainly GWTW deserves a lot more special features i'm sure there's tons of stuff out there they could include locked away in some vault somewhere. How about a separate audio track of just the score....that alone would be worth a reissue IMHO.

Mark_vdH

Screenwriter
Before I "upgraded" to the R2 version, I had the MGM R1 dvd of Gone With The Wind. While the dvd had no extras except for a trailer, a screenshot of the "special featues menu" that was in the booklet certainly stated some features....

Jefferson

Supporting Actor
How did i miss this thread?

Aside from the "how will it look/how does it look now" issues,

I want GWTW EXTRAS, or, at least a release
of the acclaimed documentary GWTW MAKING OF A LEGEND, on its own, if nothing else.

This title is just as deserving of an SE
as any of the recently REreleased-as-SE Fox titles, among others.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks