How limiting is DVI with new TV purchases?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Matt*B, Apr 25, 2005.

1. Matt*B

Matt*B Stunt Coordinator

Hey all,

I am about 4.6 seconds away from getting this 65 Inch Mitsubishi (Model: WS-65315)

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1077625453350

Now, It has DVI input (already HDCP compatible, so no worries there). At this time, is it safe to assume that the pic quality between HDMI and DVI is exactly the same?

Now, I also know that HDMI has room to grow as far as not reaching the bandwidth limit yet - so that makes me worry. Since there's no HDMI port, will I regret that in the next few years? I am not worried about audio (I use optical) - I am just worried about the video.

So in other words, am I buying a new car here with a cd player, right before mp3 becomes the standard? (this is an analogy; don't tell me that this isn't a car forum).

It's just frustrating that HDMI and DVI are both new formats, but it seems like one may be totally limited already..... I also know that there are DVI to HDMI converter cables, but the cable will be limited to the transfer of the DVI ( I am assuming )....

Anyone else consider this while buying their TV as well?

Thanks guys,

Matt

2. Joseph Bolus

Joseph Bolus Cinematographer

Based on everything that is being reported now, the main difference between the two input types is convenience: The HDMI input will carry all digital video and digital audio in one cable.

Since most people will probably want to route audio to a separate receiver/decoder anyway, I don't see this as a great advantage for HDMI over DVI.

It's also difficult to believe that a source for a higher video bandwidth would be developed (at least for the next five years) that would work exclusively into an HDMI input. It's fairly certain at this point that whatever hybrid that HD-DVD/Blu-Ray evolves into will support DVI.

So ... I would think that you're safe for the near term ... which is all anybody can ever be sure of with any type of home electronics!

3. Michael TLV

Michael TLV THX Video Instructor/Calibrator

Michael Chen
    Greetings

There are some items out there with HDMI that are turning out to be incompatible with DVI based displays. The HDMI to DVI adpators are not cutting it ...

Just beware of that aspect.

Regards