What's new

How Limited is the Lord of the Rings Gift Set?? (1 Viewer)

Matt Naglieri

Second Unit
I mananged to get my copy of the box set early and it is not numbered. In addition the magazine included is nothing more than a flyer with a few pages advertising the fan club magazine. The only difference between the 5 disc collectors set and the 4 disc is the statues which are rather heavy and the national geographic (5th disc) which contains material not on the standard version that was released a few months ago.

In addition an added treat is a free pass to see the two towers when is opens on December 18th.

TysonK

Agent
Good info Matt. By the way, how are the statues? What kind of material is it? Also was the National Geographic dvd interesting or just alot of fluff? I'm still wondering if the box set which retails for about 60 to 70 dollars is really worth it...

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
The statues are carved out of polystone and are superb in detail. They are fairly weighty for their small size too. The whole gift set presentation is perfect, it's an immediate sense of money well spent in my mind.

Dan

Matt Naglieri

Second Unit
Thanks Dan for the info on the statues it doesnt seem to mention anywhere in the contents of the box what they were made out of other than they were made in china.

In my opinion its definitely worth the extra money compared to some other "limited" box sets that have been produced lately. I've seen it going for pre-order online as low as $55.00 about $60 shipped which is only about $20 more than the 4 disc and then theres the free ticket which spares that added cost. I will have to look again but i think the free pass is good from 12/18 till the end of the month and is good for up to $10.50 in value at any theater.

In regards to the national geographic disc (which is in a snapper case) all i know its longer but I probably wont get to it till tomorrow or monday since in the same day I also got Star Wars II and south park: season one so i'll have my hands full for the next few days.

The most difficult thing was opening the box which is fairly large. The disc and statues are encased in a thick plastic and you will need to remove the discs before getting to the statues as there stuck in there pretty well. On the bright side no damage would be done to the packaging by opening it.

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
In addition an added treat is a free pass to see the two towers when is opens on December 18th.
Just as a note, the free pass is on both the regular and gift editions.

The gift edition I wouldn't think would be around too long, since it probably takes up a lot of valuable retail space.

Probably about as limited as Anckor Bay's tins.

Jason

Edit: Costco is selling it for $49.99

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
...it doesnt seem to mention anywhere in the contents of the box what they were made out of other than they were made in china.
You know the flyer paper listing all the content on the back of the gift set beneath the shrink wrap? It actualy says they are Polystone there.

Dan

Matt Naglieri

Second Unit
Thanks for pointing that out Dan.

I was at first having a difficult time opening it and i put the flyer aside and didnt pay any attention. I looked at it again and sure enough its there.

Andrew 'Ange Hamm' Hamm

Supporting Actor
A reminder for those of us who bought the 2-disc edition: Remember that it comes with a rebate certificate; you send in the receipts for the 2-disc edition and the 5-disc and get $10 back.

Denny_S

Stunt Coordinator
I will have to look again but i think the free pass is good from 12/18 till the end of the month and is good for up to $10.50 in value at any theater.
Does anyone know if the Canadian 5 disc version will carry the movie coupon and also what will the value be, and what theatre(s) will be accepting them ?

TysonK

Agent
I'm definitely getting the Gift Set. I think it's cool that once the other two films are released on dvd with the same packaging as the extended version dvd, you can put the dvds side by side between the bookends. I am curious whether or not there will be gift sets for the next two installments on dvd.

Jedrek

Stunt Coordinator
I have a QUESTION:

I planning on going to Best Buy on the 12th at around 1 PM to pick up the LOTR Gift Box Set. Based on your guy's experiences, do you think they will have any left by that time?

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
I think it's limited for as long as it sells well. When sales begin to slow down, I think New Line will stop run of production of the gift set around March. It's in no way limited like that Spider-Man gift set.

Dan

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks