What's new

How late is too late to answer a knock at the front door? (1 Viewer)

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
I will agree 100% with what you said Mike. It is way to easy to get a gun and I'm willing to bet most of those who get them for home defense, have not or very rarely fire them, let along be willing to pull the trigger if confronted by an intruder.

Laws need to be stonger for those that want to buy guns and for those that use them for violence.

Sorry Allen, guess I was reading a little too deep into your question. Just seemed an odd thread and time to ask it.

Peace Out~:D

AllanN

Supporting Actor
Sorry Allen, guess I was reading a little too deep into your question. Just seemed an odd thread and time to ask it.
No prob, it was kind of a strange thread to bring that up. I plan on buying a gun for self defense sometime reltiavly soon, seeing as I semi recently left the nest. I hope I never have to shoot anything more threatening than paper. "However, before the gardens must come the fighting."

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
We live off 1 street off Haight Street which tends to have a lot off street traffic and noises. Many times we have people who take a beer brake on our stoop. When I rebuilt the street level part, I installed heavy built proof glass and cameras which monitor the door.
My wifes cousin is a comedian who was on Mr Show for a few seasons. One night we had a ring at the door about 3am. Turned on the TV (I modulated over a channel so I could see it everywhere) and saw it was Karen. She parked her car at a garage that closed and was stuck in the city. My wife was very happy that I did something that she originially thought was worthless. It is also nice when people asking for $$$ come to your door and shooting is not an option :D

Tommy Ceez

Second Unit
the most frequent handgun deaths are children shooting themselves accidentally
Those are misleading statistics propogated by anti-gun groups and police departments. If a 16yr old criminal standing on a corner selling crack is shot by a 15 year old rival drug dealer (or shot in the crossfire)carrying a gun registered to someone else (or stolen) the murder is counted in the "accidental shooting of a child" statistics.

AjayM

Screenwriter
i am not saying guns are bad and no one should have them, but the amount of unresponsible gun owners to responsible is tipped toward the former.

i just don't understand all the suggestions for getting guns with no mention of the responsibility of owning one...using a gun for self defense takes much more effort than just buying one..
I agree 100%, I'm not against gun ownership in any way, but if you own one I certainly think you should know how to use it and take care of it. I mentioned in the other thread that I see guys with CCW permits (concealed carry) at the range that can't hit crap at 15ft.

Andrew

Mark Shannon

Screenwriter
Sorry bout my post before... I just don't get why people own guns in the first place. I know alot of you will reply to this with an answer, and that this has been answered many times before in this thread, but no amount of convincing will get through to me.

If you want to have a gun, by all means, have one. Just be prepared to handle the consequences when/if anything should happen.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
i guess this has turned into a gun owning thread.

for me, i never answer the door after dark if i am not expecting anyone.
i live in a suburb of philly and no one i know would ever be anywere near my house late at night.

Adam Barratt

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
This thread has taken a strange turn, but so be it. Let's just keep well clear of any gun control debates.

Adam

Jack Shappa

Second Unit
you have misunderstood my point (please re-read my post)...which is even if you have a gun and so does the burgular and you are the one most likely to get shot...so having a gun is pointless
??? That is some seriously flawed logic. If you hear an intruder in your house, you're not going to rush into the open with your arms spread wide and scream "Shoot me!!!". Knowing your own home, you're going to get a defensable position, point the gun at his chest and yell "freeze fucker!!!" If he raises his gun to fire you blow him away. Or better yet you see an intruder in your house you waste him without saying anything. By your definition police shouldn't bother to carry guns, because if a criminal means to harm them, they are the ones who'll be killed.

- Cryo

Bill_D

Supporting Actor
I think we all agree that the problem is not someone outside of the door but once the door or window or garage is breached. I would like to help someone in trouble and I am more than willing to call the police or cab or whatever on your behalf, but, if you get past the door uninvited you will need an ambulance. I think many here are discounting the fact that when you enter my home uninvited that I am not thinking about myself but my wife and kids which means you have just put yourself in the world of hurt.

rin

Stunt Coordinator
Bill_D:

FUCKIN-A:emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

QUOTE: if you get past the door uninvited you will need an ambulance(make that a coroner's wagon)

Lowell_B

Second Unit
Could you imagine the look on the burglars face when he kicks in the front door and finds an angry, sword wielding Mike Wladyka doing his best Toshiro Mifune impression? Home owners with guns are one thing, but I don't think your average burglar is mentally prepared for sword swinging maniacs.
Classic. Just classic. A scene like that just HAS to make it into a movie someday.

Back on topic: I'd never answer my door for a stranger at night, and thankfully I've never really had a problem with drunks at the door either.

Lowell

Greg Rakaska

Stunt Coordinator

I would not take this so-called documentary very seriously, since it was not an actual documentary.

http://www.hardylaw.net/Truth_About_Bowling.html

Unfortunately Mr. Moore chose to twist the truth to suit his own purposes. I believe that he may have had a point, but when I discover deception on any details of a documentary, I tend to disregard the whole kit-and- kaboodle. A documentary has ZERO value when it incorporates fiction, or worse yet actual intentionally deceptive lies!

Adam Barratt

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Bowling for Columbine is definitely not the subject of this thread; if the discussion shifts in that contentious direction the thread will be closed immediately.

Adam

Mark Shannon

Screenwriter
As the one who originally brought the subject of Bowling for Columbine, I'd like to apologize.

I never intented for the authenticity of the movie to be challenged, just wanted to compare the gun use scenes to the thread subject.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks