How juicy should a ripe mango be?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Timon Russo, May 5, 2005.

1. Timon Russo

Timon Russo Stunt Coordinator

I guess I have never had one, because as I was cutting into it and preparing a mango salsa, it struck me as totally unfamiliar. Now I am concerned, because the mango was completely juiceless. Was the one I used not yet ripe? I peeled it until all I had was the yellow part, then started slicing off chunks around the pit (there is a pit, right?) then diced those. My salsa doesn't look very appetizing right now.

2. Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie Lead Actor

Mangos should be juicy, very juicy. To pick a good mango you have to smell and feel it. A good one will have a fragrant stem end and will be slightly soft and yield to a gentle touch (like a peach).

See Fresh Mangos

3. Timon Russo

Thanks Jeff -

I had looked at that site and suspected my answer was there. You confirmed it. I tossed my salsa and am headed to the grocery store to see if I can find it in a jar!

4. MikeSerrano

MikeSerrano Second Unit

You should have just used some silica to absorb it.

-Mike

5. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

Yes, but it also depends on how you plan to use them.

Straight eating, the juicier, the better (I have been known to eat one over the sink).

But for making a salsa, I would suggest that one a little more firm works best (but still juicy).

And of course to properly make a green mango salad, you need (big surprise) green mangos--ones that are not only not juicy, but not ripe.

You can make good snack with green mangos. Slice them or dice them into bite size pieces and dip into sugar or a combination of sugar and ground chili (or chili flakes). This is a very common bar snack in Thailand.

6. John Alvarez

John Alvarez Screenwriter

We have a huge mango tree at our house in Miami. Actually we have 2 diffrent types. We usually get them when they are a little firm and make shakes....Yummy.
    Batido de Mango...

7. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

Thanks John--brings back memories of when I lived in Venezuela and had batios of various types every day.

My favorite on a hot day when I was very thirsty was watermelon.

8. Timon Russo

k