How is "Zardoz"?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Elbert Lee, Jun 24, 2001.

1. Elbert Lee

Elbert Lee Supporting Actor

I like some of the older sci-fi stuff, but am afraid that many of the older films wouldn't age very well. Just wondering of people's opinions who have seen this when it was new and those who might have scene it after it's been a while....
    Elbert

2. Michael Dueppen

Michael Dueppen Stunt Coordinator

I saw this movie for the first time when the disc was released a short while ago.
    I have to say that I enjoyed it quite a bit but it is nowhere near being one of my favorite movies. Especially during the beginning it is very, very obvious that this was low budget. For me this actually added some charm but others might be distracted. The story is told in visually nice pictures and keeps your attention. I can recommend this disc to people who like older sci-fi or fantasy (and only those).
    ------------------
    - Michael
    My DVD collection

3. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

I don't think I could give you a very unbiased opinion. [​IMG]
    Reviews of the disc are on my site (below). From a technical and features viewpoint, Fox delivered on this one. It is not a film for everyone, but if you can appreciate older science fiction, with the emphasis on science, then you may enjoy it.
    Another review is here , and Obi has a review in his section of HTF.
    ------------------
    Zardoz Online | Burt Lancaster is The Swimmer | dOc

4. Joseph S

Joseph S Cinematographer

Okay, I finally did my part for Fox and ordered online since I never could find the disc at any store.
    My reaction:
    That is one twisted, illogical, yet hilarious film. However, there was one thing on the disc that caught my attention. In the trailers' section there is a trailer for Alien, Alien Nation, and ...
    From the Director of "Das Boot" we bring you the trailer for "Enemy Mine!"
    I never heard of this film and was wondering if this was put their to show all directors have done really embarasssing work. [​IMG] It looks even worse than Zardoz, with lower budget special effects.
    Anyways, thank you Fox for the new Die Hards, DTS, and a bunch more. Still waiting for the Say Anything and Office Space:SE.
    "The Gun is Good. Go Forth and Kill" - Zardoz
    [Edited last by Joseph S on October 08, 2001 at 03:25 AM]

5. Brian_Hitchlock

Brian_Hitchlock Auditioning

Actually, Enemy Mine is a forgotten but generally well regarded movie from the mid 80's. It would certainly qualify as a good science fiction film. (IMO budget has very little to do with a science fiction film being "good"). By no means is it an embarrassment to Wolfgang Petersen, I recommend it highly.

6. Mark Cappelletty

Mark Cappelletty Cinematographer

Zardoz is interesting, wildly ambitious and rather goofy. The climax is very, very strange. It all boils down to whether or not you can avoid laughing at Sean Connery's loincloth/codpiece combo.
    The DVD is very nice, however.

7. Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg Lead Actor

Two random thoughts I had while reading this thread:
    1. Zardoz is far from an "illogical" film.
    2. Enemy Mine is a damn fine movie. I'd generally recommend seeing a film before giggling at it. (Showgirls nonwithstanding.)
    ------------------
    Scott
    Check out my Movie Reviews at Epinions. Help support my debilitating DVD addiction!
    AOL IM: TheAngryJew29
    [Edited last by Scott Weinberg on October 08, 2001 at 12:15 PM]

8. Joseph S

Joseph S Cinematographer