How is video/audio quality of Adventures of Priscilla Queen of the Desert

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by George Burkhart, Jun 18, 2002.

1. George Burkhart

Hello. I'm a big fan of The Adventures of Priscilla Queen of the Desert. I still remember watching it 8 years ago with my wife in the theater. I remember that this was an early DVD release in 1997 and I remember hearing something about a possible flaw in it. Can anybody confirm this and let me know how the quality is for the 2001 release? I'd like to add it to my collection. Thanks for your help.

2. Will K

Will K Screenwriter

It's not bad at all, but don't expect reference quality. The video is pleasing and all-around good-looking and colorful as it should be. The audio is 2.0 surround and does the job okay, but a full-blown 5.1 mix would suited Priscilla better. Hopefully, one of these days, MGM wil see fit to give us an all-out SE of this classic.

3. DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet Lead Actor

It's a really horrid (IMO) 4x3 lbxed transfer that's plauged with video noise and artifacts (like aliasing). Keep in mind I was watching it on a Sony 10HT projector...which is very revealing. But I've seen some non-anamorphic transfers (like Kundun) that look spectacular so I can't just chock-it-up to the fact that this title wasn't anamorphic.

Wait on it. Eventually a new transfer should arrive. I don't have it either...I saw it at a friend's house and swore I'd boycott the title until it's release properly.

-dave

4. Rain

Rain Producer

5. Will K

Will K Screenwriter

Forgive me, George, for my grossly incompetent assessment of Priscilla's DVD presentation. Obviously, there are far more qualified and intelligent human beings on this board to provide friendly advice on DVD purchases. I'm going to get back under my bridge.

6. Tom Rhea

Tom Rhea Second Unit

It really does depend on your setup. If you are watching on the sort of tv that most people have (not most people HERE, mind you, just people in general), it's good but not great. Except there are a couple of scenes where the "noise" is so bad it looks like it's snowing. I'm thinking specifically of the scene where the fellas walk up the stairs of the hotel they stay at their first night out.

How likely is it that a re-release is coming? I haven't heard anything about one (not that it's likely I would).

7. DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet Lead Actor

Will,
    don't take any offense please! This happens all the time...one person says a transfer is great and another person trashes it. It happens with all kinds of transfers of all kinds of films (you still hear people argue about Ben Hur and Spartacus).
    Most of it is probably the size or resolution of the display it's being judged on. I know that many transfers look fine from 12 feet away from my 34" 16x9 direct view, and those that look bad on my set look fine on my friend's 27" 4x3 set. And many transfers that look fine on my set look like crap on my friend's Sony 10HT / Sharp 9000 16x9 DLP projector.
    The ultimate guide should be how the disc looks projected 100" wide with a decent projector and scaler. If it looks good here, then it really is (and isn't it about home *theater* after all???). If it looks bad here, even if it looks good on a small set, we should still be aware of the flaws cuz we all plan up eventually upgrading our display gear as we can afford it [​IMG]
    -dave

8. George Burkhart

Thanks for all of your opinions. I really appreciate it.