How is this Sony LCD Projector?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Haris Ellahi, Dec 26, 2001.

1. Haris Ellahi

Haris Ellahi Second Unit

Sony VPL-HS1 Well? It this any good? What are your opinions/comments?

2. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    I am curious about this easy lamp and filter change that is listed in the specs. Does that mean a user can change the bulb and reset the time on it? I have taken the bulb out of my projector a couple of times but I don't know how to reset the usage time. This could save money and time if the bulb reaches end of life.

3. andrew

andrew Auditioning

I purchased a bulb for my Sony VPL-W400Q and the bulb had instructions to reset the timer (very model specific I am sure) but it was certainly no big deal. Maybe other bulbs come with similar instructions. Certainly changing the bulb and reseting the timer was a user function, it took a matter of minutes.

Andrew

4. Haris Ellahi

Haris Ellahi Second Unit

Can someone please comment on that Projector??

5. Nelson Chow

Nelson Chow Auditioning

Hi Haris,

I've had this projector for about four weeks. This is my first projector and an upgrade from my 35" Trinitron. I'm projecting a 5 foot wide image on a Da-Lite screen. Very nice presentation. My video cable is the Sony SIC-HS40 component cable and my player is the Sony DVP-NS700P progressive scan unit.

Very nice picture with natural skin tone reproduction. The daylight scenes in "Pitch Black" have a luminuous quality that no RPTV can touch.

IMHO, there are only two weak points with this unit; the black level and the component inputs. The black level for many projectors in this price range are closer to a dark gray. The projector settings should be optimized to get acceptable (but not great) black level.

The unit has no RCA connectors for component inputs so you are forced to use the Sony interface cable - SICHS40.

Hi Neil,

Still living in Mississauga?

After replacing the bulb, the manual says to press 4 buttons in a sequence. I assume this is the timer reset.

The bulb is a replacement "cartridge". Replacement of the bulb or filter is easy based on the demo DVD (for the projector) I watched.

Any questions?

6. Kimmo Jaskari

Kimmo Jaskari Screenwriter

Based only on what I have read and heard about projectors in this class (inexpensive LCD) you would probably be better off with a Nec VT45. It has two chief advantages - you can invert it if you want to ceiling mount it and a lens that allows you to optically shift the image as opposed to the digital keystone correction of the HS1.

7. Huey

Huey Agent

I second this recommendation of looking elswhere. NEC VT45 is better than Cineza but it's also only SVGA. You can get Sanyo XW15 or Boxlight clone for 2K that's XGA LCD. For 2.3K you can get the infamous XGA DLP LT150. Why would anyone want to buy the Cineza (HS1)--just for the HT name or the low level of noise? Not worth the price hike IMHO. Even the Plus Piano for 3K is a better buy with much better picture. SVGA LCD means screendoor (pixel visibility), dismal contrast (Sony is well-known for crappy contrast), and triple the dead pixel risks (3 panels compared to DLP, Sony is not good about honoring dead pixel repair--considered within specs to have 1-3). With HDTV, you be better off with XGA for more resolution. Cineza is basically a marked up Sony VPL-CS3 ($1500 business SVGA LCD PJ) with quieter fans. If you want cheap, the Sony VPL-CX1 for $1500 new is a better buy due to XGA LCD (only 550 lumens and 150:1 CR). Forget the Cineza. It's gonna be for the Circuit City or Best Buy type shoppers who don't know any better.

8. AjayM

AjayM Screenwriter

All of the above is true, but needs to be qualified a little more. And this is something that is rarely mentioned. How good is the internal scaler of the unit? Sure a $2.3k LT150 will make a wonderful image, if you have a good scaler (HTPC, Quadscan, etc). By itself though it is less than stellar. In that case the Plus Piano is an attractive looking projector, it has an excellent scaler, quiet fans, cheap bulbs, etc. But it's also almost $1k more expensive than the Cineza (I've seen Cineza's street price around $2100-2200). Also, there are more differences between the Cineza and the cheaper Sony line than just quiet fans, they use different bulbs, has more digital stuff (keystone adjustments) built in, etc.

On that note, I have no idea how the Cineza scaler is (I saw it with a prog DVD player). Most people that have seen them (including myself) have said that it makes a nice picture and for the price and ease of use it's probably not a bad buy. Those that have never seen the Cineza usually like to do some "armchair" comparisons based solely on specs, which only goes so far (a $20k Runco projector has specs very close to a $4k Sanyo, but the difference when you see it is WAY different).

Andrew

9. Huey

Huey Agent

I agree with Ajay's comments. I owned LT150 and CX1. True LT150 needs HTPC or prog. DVD player to shine. CX1 scaler is pretty good by itself making interlaced (480i) DVD via Toshiba SD1700 looks great (16:9 squeeze and interlaced component capable) while LT150 is mediocre on 480i. On HTPC or 480p, LT150 beats the pants of my CX1 for much better blacks (no masking needed for black bars whereas my CX1's bars literally lit up the room due to its grayness) and brighter output (any lights at all wash out the CX1). It pitch dark, both units have pretty good colors right out of the box but the LT150 makes image look 3D due to much better CR (800:1 vs. 150:1). I'd bet my CX1 will look better than the Cineza in dark room (dismal 550 lumens for CX1) due to XGA resolution. Digital keystone is WORTHLESS as it degrades picture. This means installation will need to be perfect to make image square. CX1 has zoom wheras LT150 does not. Noise wise the 2 are comparable (LT150 and CX1 in table mode). If I had to buy again, I'd still pick LT150 or CX1 over HS1 (Cineza). Don't forget about rainbows sideeffects that some people suffer on LT150 (I don't have this problem). All this gobblygook is just my opinion. Good luck.