What's new

How is this HDTV? (1 Viewer)

Paul W

Second Unit
Well, I'm not sure about 1080i but 720p is one of the HDTV modes listed in the features.
Hmmmm
------------------
Link Removed Paul Warren
Hey fella . . . I bet you're still livin' in your parent's cellar . . . downloading pictures of Sarah Michelle Gellar . . . and posting "Me too!" like some brain-dead AOL-er . . . I should do the world a favor and cap ya' like Old Yeller . . . you're just about as useless as MPEGs [sic] to Hellen Keller.

Haris Ellahi

Second Unit
Real Name
Haris Ellahi
Sorry, but I am a newbie to Progressive Scan and HDTV. Can you please explain what 720p, 1080i, and all the other Progressive Scan and HDTV formats are and what the differences are?
Thank you! :)

Brian Mello

Stunt Coordinator
Basically, 1080i(interlaced) and 720p(progressive) are High Definition standards. Possibly in your neck of the woods, the broadcasters mainly use 720p whereas in the US its mainly 1080i with ABC as the exception. This TV doesn't seem to have the capability to display 1080i native but don't worry because 1080i coverted to 720p will probably not be noticable to you. 480p is the current Progressive DVD capability using a progressive scan DVD player of course.

Bruce Hedtke

Senior HTF Member
Haris,
That would be 16x9. From the pic, it looks as though it is widescreen. As for 480p, it's hard to say. I would say I ASSUME it does display 480p, but since it doesn't specifically say it does, it is up in the air.
Bruce
------------------
mstprev.gif

Welcome aboard the Satellite of Love

Brian Mello

Stunt Coordinator
If the TV doesn't display native 480p it might upconvert it to 720p. I can't tell. Drop Samsung an e-mail and see if they respond! :)

Haris Ellahi

Second Unit
Real Name
Haris Ellahi
But if it UPCONVERTS the 480p to 720p, it woundn't make a difference cuz it is upconverting it right?

Paul W

Second Unit
That depends on the quality of the processors doing upconversion. Sometimes upconverting 480i to 1080i can results in a soft or blurry picture.
I'm not sure about 480p->720p. Is it possible for you to demo this TV? That would be the ultimate test.
------------------
Link Removed Paul Warren
Hey fella . . . I bet you're still livin' in your parent's cellar . . . downloading pictures of Sarah Michelle Gellar . . . and posting "Me too!" like some brain-dead AOL-er . . . I should do the world a favor and cap ya' like Old Yeller . . . you're just about as useless as MPEGs [sic] to Hellen Keller.
[Edited last by Paul W on November 08, 2001 at 09:26 AM]

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks