What's new

How is this guy still in charge???....(re:Trek) (1 Viewer)

Rex Bachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Rex Bachmann
John VB wrote (post #18):

I raised this possibility once myself. A respondent post said that Mr. Berman(?) had been quoted as stating Paramount would "never" use these novels as the basis of filmed entertainment.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Bah. It's the audience's willingness to do this that leads to studios feeling that it's enough to make a mediocre film.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
And with Nemesis, they broadcast the message that, "As long as it's called Star Trek, we're certain those little fools will show up at the megaplexes with their $10.50." B&B thought all they had to do was dust off Wrath of Kahn and give it a TNG-flavored makeover, and, of course, it would sell.

All of which leads one to ask: Do they really believe that still? Apparently so.

Ernest Rister

Senior HTF Member
"The Next Gen movies became about Picard and Data and pushed everyone to the background."

That's one of the reasons I respect Star Trek III more than most. Bones is going insane. Kirk has just lost Spock, and now, on the voyage home, he's losing Bones as well. Then he learns the Enterprise is being mothballed. Then he has to choose between his career and his friendship and he loses everyhting...the enterprise blows up, his son dies, he is a criminal...all of this for friendship, to save two souls. Kirk is joined on this by his loyal officers. Every person has a crucial role to play.

That's always bugged me about the NG movies - every single one of the new films has been the "Picard and Data Show". I personally lost all interest in future ST movies the moment a joystick popped out of the Captain's chair in...what was the name of that movie? Insurrection or something.

Tony Whalen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony Whalen

God, that was just a HORRIBLE moment. I'll never forget the groan that rattled it's way through the theater when that happened.

Pete-D

Screenwriter
Yeah definitely I think Picard and Data were way too all over the TNG movies. The TNG has a lot of characters that are great, but they're all almost reduced to cameos.

The actors should not have that kind of input.

Personally I think the idea of a prequel movie is a terrible one, especailly since people aren't exactly flipping out over Enterprise. And man, I think Jolene Blalock is one of the most striking women I've ever seen, but I still really feel little desire to watch it.

Why not let Nicolas Meyer direct and script a proper send off for the TNG crew? Star Trek II and VI aren't just good Star Trek movies, they're good movies period. I mean, hell, he's already got a villian in Q that fits the Meyer mold of the "worthy, charming advasary that could quote Shakespeare" ready to go.

Todd K

Second Unit
I never had a problem with the Picard/Data focus. The original series' focus was the Kirk-Spock-McCoy triad, with the others playing supporting roles. As The Next Generation evolved, it became clear that Picard and Data's exploration of humanity together was the most interesting facet of the show. It was portrayed best in First Contact, I think. And the structure of the movie allowed the supporting characters to be important as well, since they were advancing the plot on Earth while Picard and Data were on the ship. Plus, Stewart and Spiner are the best actors among the cast, and have the most interesting characters.

In my opinion, the heavy emphasis Picard and Data is the least of the later films' flaws.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks