How is this guy still in charge???....(re:Trek)

Discussion in 'Movies' started by todd s, Apr 23, 2004.

1. todd s

todd s Lead Actor

I just read that Berman is begining to possibly do an 11th Trek film. My question is...How is this guy still in charge? Does he have illicit photos of the Paramount execs? I like Enterprise, although it is not as good as TNG or DS9. But, he really is destroying the franchise. It is time for NEW blood. I just don't understand how Paramount keeps him.

Here is the article from www.trektoday.com

Star Trek producer Rick Berman today revealed he has started work on what could eventually become Star Trek XI.

"I am involved in the very early stages of what could be the next Star Trek movie," Berman told the British Dreamwatch Magazine (via TrekWeb). "It's something I will be producing with two other producers."

Berman was unwilling to reveal anything about the film's plot beyond saying the film would be "a prequel." This fits in with comments over the past few months from several Next Generation actors, who felt that the disappointing box office results of Star Trek: Nemesis spelled the end of TNG as a film franchise. Of course, discussions fo the next Trek movie project are still in the very early stages, and the concept may yet change entirely.

In addition to the next Trek film, Berman revealed to Dreamwatch magazine that he is currently working with fellow Star Trek: Enterprise creator Brannon Braga on a science fiction series set outside the Trek universe. Trekweb speculated that if project would indeed be picked up by studio Paramount for development as a full-fledged series, Berman and/or Braga might play a reduced role in Enterprise's fourth season.

The full comments from Berman can be found in issue #117 of Dreamwatch magazine, on sale now in the UK. Thanks go out to TrekWeb for this!

2. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

The current theory is that it involves Sumner Redstone, a billy goat, and a camera.

3. Dave Corder

Dave Corder Stunt Coordinator

So, who do we contact at Paramount to show our support for this project? Getting Berman and Braga out of the way of Enterprise can't be anything but good for that series. (I didn't watch much of DS9, but didn't it start to improve after Berman/Braga began to work on Voyager?)

Dave

4. Rob Gardiner

Rob Gardiner Cinematographer

What if one of the other producers is HARVE BENNETT and the prequel idea is "Starfleet Academy". [​IMG]

5. todd s

todd s Lead Actor

I just thought...Isn't Enterprise a prequel?? [​IMG]

6. Tony Whalen

Tony Whalen Producer

Thereby summing up the entire problem with Voyager and Enterprise. It's too damned safe and conservative.

7. Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H Executive Producer

Greg
    But, no, early DS9 was good, too.

8. Dewitte

Dewitte Stunt Coordinator

Not to be Senor Pain-in-the-Ass, but shouldn't this be over in the TV/HDTV forum?

De

9. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

No, because it is about a movie - Star Trek XI.

Glenn

10. John Berggren

John Berggren Producer

It's a horrible idea. They should eject Berman and have someone talented develop another TNG film.

11. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

Which makes it a good candidate for the Movies forum, not HT Software - TV Shows.

M.

12. Eric F

Eric F Screenwriter

If they make it, no one will come.

13. Chris^B

Chris^B Auditioning

You know, maybe I just don't know much about the minds behind Trek, but I've been shocked on countless occasions. The biggest one was Nemesis.
    I had heard this was going to be the "crews final voyage" and I was excited about that. I love Trek, but I'm also a person who likes Trek because of the realism. I hate Sci-Fi that has no human element to it (hence why I despise Star Wars, but that's a different argument). Anyway, I was so excited about Nemesis because I KNEW that they had to kill off someone in order to say it was their final voyage. The movie was GREAT! When Picard set the self destruct and ordered the collision, it was the greatest Trek moment EVER! Finally, they would add a gripping dramatic moment that would forever ensure each TNG character as a hero, none of whom would go on and on until the fans no longer cared. This was the greatest Trek moment ever! Then, it died. Trek was ruined for me at that point. I have been a huge fan since the early days of TNG until that moment. Now, I no longer care. They couldn't even freaking kill off Data and let him be without having a backup.
    Am I in the majority? Are most Trek fans tired of this, or is it just a few of us who don't like the direction?

14. Rex Bachmann

Rex Bachmann Screenwriter

Rex Bachmann
    Chris^B wrote (post #13):

It's not clear exactly what your complaint is. False or "nonfinal" deaths have a long history in the franchise; at least as early as "Amok Time" and "The Changeling" (?). After The Wrath of Khan/Search for Spock ("He's not dead, Jim!"), it became clear for a lot of us that the producers of the movies were going to milk the "death-thing" for all its marketing value, with never a care for its affect on the plausibility of the stories. "In science fiction, anything can happen" (translation: "We don't give a s***!") became the by-word. So, it should come as a surprise to no one that the formula-bound "franchise" can't seem to shake its comfortable (and comforting) established characters. As Ernestine the telephone operator on the old Laugh-In program used to snort : "We're the telephone company. We don't care. We don't have to!", an attitude that utterly informs the productions of the makers of Star Trek today.

In short, none of this is new.

15. Dan Hitchman

Dan Hitchman Cinematographer

Nemesis, IMHO, was a pile of dog feces. The films have really been going down hill since Generations and the TV show along with them.

Thank B&B for dumbing the hell out of Star Trek.

Does no one at Paramount care??

Berman and Braga deserved the sack ages ago!

Bring on Babylon 5 and/or Farscape writers and S.T. would be a heck of a lot more interesting than their pap.

Dan

16. Richard_D_Ramirez

Richard_D_Ramirez Second Unit

Must...restrain...thoughts...of...squishing...Berm an....BERRRRRRMANNNNNNN!

[​IMG]

17. Mikel_Cooperman

Mikel_Cooperman Producer

Mikey

Very true. Everything they do on the show that has any real emotional meaning is undone. I am sure if Nemesis had done well, Brent would have wanted to come back as Data.
    One of the manin problems with the movies is that the actors have become too involved with the script process and of course when they do this they are going to make their part bigger. The Next Gen movies became about Picard and Data and pushed everyone to the background.
    You would think that after the loss of fans from the shows and movies that they would be paying the right people the right money to deliver a stellar movie but it doesnt seem like they have learned their lessons. I dont know anyone that watches the show or cares much about the movies anymore which is ashame but the only people responsible are the people at Paramount.

18. JohnVB

JohnVB Stunt Coordinator

When I saw Nemesis in the theathers I was disappointed. And I now realize that the movie trialers for it gave me a false expectcation of what the movie was going to be about.

I thought the bad guy was going to turn into Picard, and Picard was going to turn into the bad guy. That morphing scene in the trailers just threw me off. Why do they make trailers with scenes not in the movie?

I've since seen the movie on DVD, and have discovered that Nemesis is really quite good, if you discard expectations, and try not to get to caught up in the story inconsistencies between the movie and the series.

If they ever get B4 to "become" Data in a future film, they may ruin the message that was in Nemesis. They'll have to be very careful how they do this IMHO.

A big problem for the creators of the Star Trek movies is that people expect each movie to be better than the previous, until finally the expectation are so huge that no one could possibly succeed at satisfying people.

For this next movie I'm wondering if they're going to base it on Peter David's Star Trek novels 'Star Trek New Frontier'. This series is set between the original ST series and the TNG series. This would give the movie a new cast of characters and give ST a sort of fresh start. Though, a move like this could be fairly risky. If they do it well, I think it could be a success.

- bones

19. dpippel

dpippel HTF Premium Member
    Supporter

Doug
    Maybe, just maybe, the Powers That Be will realize that it's time to put Star Trek out to pasture instead continuing to try and feed at its dried-up teat. Let it go Berman - Paramount could be spending that money on projects that people might actually want to see.

20. JohnVB

JohnVB Stunt Coordinator

Doug,

I dunno. Maybe it's just me, but for you to assume that no one wants to see another Star Trek movie, seems very presumptuous.

- bones