How is this for a 5.1 setup?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Je-P, Feb 12, 2003.

1. Je-P

Je-P Stunt Coordinator

Ok guys, I'm going to be getting an entirely new HT setup for my living room within the next month and here is what I have picked out so far. I'll try and post a diagram of the room later on. The dimensions are approx. 14x22. I am going to be pairing this up with a Denon 3803 most likely (outside chance of an Onkyo SR800).

Axiom M60ti fronts-$800
    Axiom QS8 surrounds-$470
    Axiom VP150 center-$350

On the sub I'm torn between the Axiom EP350 or the SVS 20-39+. I've heard you guys rave about the SVS. It's $975 on their site, while the Axiom sub goes for $620. I'm going to use this setup primarily for DVD's. Probably 90% of the time. Which sub to go for? And what do you think about the rest of the speakers? For my room dimensions, should I go for the M80's? Or will the M60's suffice? Sorry for all the questions, but I'm just really looking forward to this. [​IMG]

2. MatthewK

MatthewK Stunt Coordinator

I *think* comparing prices the SVS 20-39PC+ to the EP350 is like comparing apples to oranges. You may want to ask Tom V. at SVS what he thinks is approximately comparable. You may be suprised.

SVS has always responded very quickly and honestly to all my inquiries! [​IMG]

Matthew

3. Je-P

Je-P Stunt Coordinator

But my choices of Axiom is good?

4. MatthewK

IMHO, Axiom makes some very nice speakers but they are not for me.

Let me clarify. My father has some Axiom M3Tis, QS4s and a VP100. (Yes, they are a step down from what you are considering.) I really like their imaging and soundstage. They generally sound incredible in the room he has them in.

For ME though they seemed to be quite "bright". During the lobby shootout in Matrix the tingling of the shells "hurt" my ears. In fact it made the whole scene seemed to turn very harsh, violent and suddenly I didn't like the scene much at all anymore! During music and other movies as well it just seemed to make my "ears bleed".

That being said, EVERYBODY's perceives the sound differently. Many people love this attribute of the axiom speakers and feel it is more accurrate.

I guess that was a long answer to a short question, huh? In summary, Axiom makes great speakers if you like the Axiom sound. This can be said about most speakers as all are designed with slightly different sonic qualities in mind.

Unless you know you are sensitive to "brighter" speakers I would say it would be something worth trying and see if they work for you. Honestly when you listen you may think I am off my rocker for percieving them as bright! That's fine... I will be happy you found the speakers for you. [​IMG]

Hope this helps.

Matthew

Just remembered that the 60s can be modified by adding a resister to them to reduce what I would call the brightness they exhibit. It is axiom supported and you can find information on this on their message boards. [​IMG]

5. Ben Jordan

Ben Jordan Stunt Coordinator

Ben
    I have an Axiom setup + a SVS 22-31PCi sub, and am *extremely* satisfied! Brings huge smiles to my face. They are not bright or harsh at all with my Onkyo receiver in my room.

Got most of them through Marc at Audioshop (except for the M50s), and actually got a better deal through him than even the factory direct prices. Bought the M50's first through the factory direct, so that I could audition them w/o any hassle or losing any money. So happy with them I then ordered the rest through Marc.

Have the M50 mains, VP150 center, and QS8's and highly recommend them all. Will be getting 2 more QS8's eventually to complete the setup.

6. MatthewK

If you do get Axioms, and are sure of the purchase, I too would recommend getting them through marc at audioshop.on.ca. He also offers the best prices I have found but at the cost of not having an in home audition. He is very honest and will help you determine if the Axiom sound is right for you.

Matthew

7. MatthewK

Found a review (http://www.ecoustics.com/bbs/messages/1/1041.html)that may be interesting to you. It is subjective and not hard on "hard facts" but interesting none the less.

Unfortunately there are some "trolls" down in the comments section but I think you can see what a class act those at SVS are at dealing with it. On a side note I have only heard wonderful things about how Dr. Hsu handles himself and his company as well! [​IMG]

Again, I hope this helps.

Matthew

8. Je-P

Je-P Stunt Coordinator

Ben, which Onkyo do you have this hooked up to?

9. Ben Jordan

Ben Jordan Stunt Coordinator

Ben
    The Onkyo is the 787. Very pleased with it!