What's new

How is this APC Power Line Conditioner? (1 Viewer)

Craig F

Second Unit
Real Name
Craig
It doesn't have a very big power rating. How many watts do you need it to deliver?

Michael Yung

Stunt Coordinator
I recall reading from somewhere that you shouldn't use computer line conditioners for stereo equipment. I don't know if this is true or not but perhaps someone would comment on it.
------------------

Andy_S

Second Unit
About 500 Watts max. I'm not going to have everything hooked up to it. Just the critical stuff (TV, receiver).
------------------
Check out my home-built mame cabinet here!

Craig F

Second Unit
Real Name
Craig
It may be able to handle 500 watts. Be aware that the VA rating is not equivalent to wattage. For instance, PC power supplies are only 60% efficient, which means the wattage it can handle is 60% lower than the VA rating. I do not know what the efficiency of A/V equipment is. Any power gurus out there know?

Andy_S

Second Unit
According to the manual (Link Removed )
"Model 600 maximum capacity: 600W or 600 VA"
Is it possible they don't know what they're talking about??
------------------

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
APC has an online chat and also a toll free #...give them a call or chat and inform them what you plan on doing. Overall this unit would be suitable for powering a typical home pc for 10-15 minutes I believe to allow for an orderly shutdown. If you regularly record from the tv, the basic units are wonderful so's you don't lose programming information. Might keep the significant other happy.

Andy_S

Second Unit
Thanks. I'll try that. I don't think this is a UPS system so it doesn't really keep your system running if the power cuts out entirely (at least it's not marketted that way). I think it's just a line conditioner.
------------------

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
I got a Trip lite (sp?) rated at 1200VA (or watts, don't know why they use VA instead) for around $100 from MCMelectronics.com.
Most of the APC models have computer related features which drive up the price but worthless for AV equipment.
I have all my amps on this one.
It has a bit of a humm so I just put mine away from the listening area ...not to bad , great for the price.
------------------
Why?
Why do you keep hounding me and harassing me and hounding me?
It's not like I don't have anything better to do, you know.
It's not like the Phantom Cruiser is going to wax itself.
It's not like last night's burrito stain will just up and remove itself from my cape.
I am a superhero!
A very very busy superhero! Who does...things!
Now get out of here before I tell your mother.
AND DON'T TRAMPLE MY BEGONIAS!
-Space Ghost..

ThomasW

Senior HTF Member
Do not hook any power-amps/receivers to this type of device. They have a dynamic ampere draw that these devices aren't designed to supply. The result will be destroying not the power conditioner, but instead the amp/receiver.
You can hook low ampere devices DVD players, CD players tape decks etc.
[Edited last by ThomasW on July 17, 2001 at 07:25 PM]

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
the unit you're considering is a power conditioner, designed primarily to regulate output voltage during situations where the incoming voltage varies. Most well designed amplifiers are relatively immune to typical variations in voltage. Certainly this unit is stated as having a maximum current draw of 8 amps and therefore, I would only consider hooking up equipment whose sum total of current draw does not exceed this value. Your home receiver may or may not draw this amount under dynamic conditions. That's an issue you'd have to take up with the manufacturer. Unless your situation is unique with regards to precipitous voltage drops, you may be better served with surge protectors. i may have overlooked it, but I don't believe you specified just what it is that you're looking to accomplish for you may well have chosen a product that's not suited to your needs. again, it would be a beneficial conversation to have with APC. Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks