How is the Yamaha 2400 at detecting a digital signal? Any delays?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Tom_Mack, Dec 9, 2003.

1. Tom_Mack

Tom_Mack Stunt Coordinator

One of my deal-breakers when it comes to receivers is a bad delay when detecting a digital signal.

Over the past 2 years I have returned a Marantz 8200 and H/K 525 because of up to two second delay when starting or skipping tracks on a Dolby/DTS movie. My current Yamaha 596 has a minor split second, barely noticable delay.

I want to buy a new Yamaha 2400 receiver for Christmas, but I want to make sure that the delay isn't noticable on this new receiver.

Thanks!

2. Tom_Mack

I know a lot of people here have this receiver. Please help me out if you can. I would like to know about the delay before I drive out to buy.

3. David Judah

David Judah Screenwriter

There's no significant delay. I'm suprised you've had problems. Granted, I'm not familiar with Marantz or HK, but I've never seen that kind of problem from the major Japanese manufacturers(Denon, Pioneer, Yamaha or Sony).

DJ

4. Tom_Mack

Thanks for the help!

The delay was really bad on the Marantz. The first couple seconds after the layer change on a DVD was always quiet.

5. David Judah

David Judah Screenwriter

Enjoy the 2400. It's a good'n.[​IMG]

DJ

6. Rajeev_s

Rajeev_s Stunt Coordinator

On my Yamaha 2300, the delay is very small. May be 1/10th of a sec. When I watch badly scratched DVDs or change channels on my cable STB, the delay is almost non-existent.
    I love it.

7. Tom_Mack

I ended up getting the 2400 yesterday. It sounds great!

The delay is there and a little longer than the old Yamaha (which I thought was odd), but it isn't too bad (a little less than a second).

I still have a delay coming out the the layer change on a dvd. Would a new DVD player help? I have an older Sony model DVP-S500D.

8. VicQ

VicQ Stunt Coordinator

A new player might help, since newer players have typically faster layer changes.

-Vic

9. ChrisLazarko

ChrisLazarko Supporting Actor

I've never noticed any to have a problem. My HK AVR-225 has never had that problem that I have noticed, and i'm very pickey....

10. Frank Carter

Frank Carter Screenwriter

I've had the same annoyance with HK AVR520 and AVR325. While I don't have the 2400, of the 5 Yamaha receivers I've had I never had a noticeable delay.

11. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    I have a Marantz SR8300 and there is no delay. The 8200 had an update released bringing it to the same spec, also correcting this issue aparently. What are you using as a source? This is 50% of the cause, since it is often how the player handles the signal that triggers the problem.