How is the Sony 57" XBR?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Elbert Lee, Jan 11, 2002.

1. Elbert Lee

Elbert Lee Supporting Actor

I was just wondering how well regarded the Sony 57" xbr was? I have been previously using a Toshiba 65x81.

THanks!

Elbert

2. John Giddens

John Giddens Stunt Coordinator

I don't have the Sony 57" xbr, but I do have the KDP-65XBR2 and I love it. Especially with DVD's. If you must go with a 57" I would recommend the KDP-57XBR2. Don't just take my opinion for it though. As most would recommend on this board, you must make up your own mind, so go preview this set and many others if you can. If you have any further questions just reply.

3. Elbert Lee

THanks for the opinion on the Sony. I was a fan of Toshiba until their current line of products came out and Sony wasn't too high on my list in terms of widescreens. Looks like the 57XBR is the way to go. Do you know what the differences are between the XBR2 and the regular Sony HW version other than the built in ATSC receiver?

Thanks!

Elbert

4. Kishu

Kishu Stunt Coordinator

Elbert,
    Besides tuner, the XBr2 uses better lenses and has a unidirectional 1394 port compared to HW series. You can get 57xbr2 delivered for $4Kish from oadebros.com
    Quite frankly, Sony has made a comeback with much better performing sets. The XBR2 gives pioneer elite a run for money imho & is a bit superior to HW in DVD and HD (HD looks awesome!).
    I'm also considering a 55-57" set and I have Hw40, Tosh HX81 in my top selection. However I might blow some $$ on Zenith 64" too [​IMG]
    Good luck!
    Cheers,
    Kishore

5. Elbert Lee

Thanks! How is the XBR ATSC tuner compared to Sony's regular HDTV STB receiver? I had heard that the XBR's internal receiver is better.

Elbert

6. John Giddens

John Giddens Stunt Coordinator

7. Elbert Lee

Thanks, John - I seem to remember some information coming out when the new XBR2s just came out and my impression was that the ATSC tuner was superior to that of the STB. I forgot the reviewer, though, but it was from a magazine publication...

Elbert

8. steven duch

steven duch Auditioning

The firewire is unusual in that it is not unidirectional.It goes in but not out so you cant record digitaly.