What's new

how is the RCA dtc100? (1 Viewer)

stan mucha

Stunt Coordinator
how does the rca compare with the hughes e86?how is rca for reliability?im looking to get one of the older hdtv receiver for over the air hdtv.i might subscribe to direct tv in the near future.which is the best older unit?

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
The DTC-100 was the first DirecTV HD receiver. It's got it's quirks and bugs but from what I've read, they aren't bad. Right now the bargain receiver is the Hughes E-86 and it's clones (Toshiba and Mitsubishi). OTA reception varies and is not as good as the latest generation of receivers but what can you expect for "bargain" prices. Also it runs hot and has to have adequate ventilation. If you wait until early next year you will find all of these receivers for sale as people upgrade to the HD DirecTivo.

-Robert

Charles Gurganus

Supporting Actor
Be aware the DTC-100's only digital output is an RGB type. I bought it from CC for less than $200 because they said it kept coming back because no one could connect it to their TV's. I happened to have just purchased a Pioneer 533hd5 which is one of the few HD-RPTV's with an RGB input.

My only real gripe with the DTC-100 is its slow access time for locking in on Direct-TV channels and other slow response issues (slow on info time etc).

stan mucha

Stunt Coordinator
i have heard some quality issues with the hughes.thats why i was considering the rca even though i would have to get the vga adapter.does the toshiba have the same guide as the hughes?how quick do they pull up the menu versus the rca?
thanks for the help guys!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks