How is the Pioneer DVD of Texas Chainsaw?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by ScottR, Jun 18, 2002.

1. ScottR

ScottR Cinematographer

I was thinking about buying this, but don't want to be "Bitter Buyer" if a new edition is in the works. How is the video quality? Should I go ahead and pick this one up?

2. Scott W.

Scott W. Second Unit

To describe it in two words... Its excellent!! It has so many supplemental materials you'll cry (if you're a real fan). Best of all the deleted footage. The audio/ video is good, but I don't think you'll be seeing it in any new edition anytime soon. If you're anykind of self respecting fan, SEE or at least, BUY this dvd.

Scott

3. Tony Scello

Tony Scello Second Unit

I agree with Scott W. This is a very nice disc. The video and audio are good but not great. Considering the source material, this may be the best this film is going to look. The disc has a bunch of great supplemental material and even the animated menus are creepy as hell. If your a fan of this movie, I wouldn't hesitate to pick it up.
    I have not heard of any new version of this film coming out anytime soon but if your like me, a new, better version will be announced the day after you purchase the current version [​IMG]

4. Damin J Toell

Damin J Toell Producer

Damin J. Toell

5. Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy Producer

The DVD is a fine DVD, but it's a non-anamorphic transfer of a workprint - not the carefully restored print that was apparently used for the LD. This was apparently a mistake. For details, see this Digital Bits review (including comments from Don May Jr.):
    http://www.thedigitalbits.com/review...wmassacre.html

6. Phil Thron

Phil Thron Second Unit

I've also heard the discussions about the less-than-stellar transfer, but as an owner of the disc I have to add my voice to those recommending purchase.
    I've been a huge fan of TCM since I saw it on its initial release to theaters lo those many years ago, and I'm very happy with the DVD version as it stands. The extras are fun and interesting, and I enjoy the sound remix. Damin is probably right about its eventually getting another release, but who knows when that will be? As a fan I can't imagine not having this one...though, as Tony said, and which has happened to me so many times as well, the moment you buy it you'll find the new announcement on the internet. [​IMG]
    BTW, if you get it, leave it at the menus for a while and do nothing but watch the screen...

7. Julie K

Julie K Screenwriter

I too have to recommend buying this. I do hope a new version will come out but I'm very happy having the current disc to enjoy.

Be sure to listen to the commentary. It's a good one.