What's new

How is the Pioneer DVD of Texas Chainsaw? (1 Viewer)

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
I was thinking about buying this, but don't want to be "Bitter Buyer" if a new edition is in the works. How is the video quality? Should I go ahead and pick this one up?

Scott W.

Second Unit
To describe it in two words... Its excellent!! It has so many supplemental materials you'll cry (if you're a real fan). Best of all the deleted footage. The audio/ video is good, but I don't think you'll be seeing it in any new edition anytime soon. If you're anykind of self respecting fan, SEE or at least, BUY this dvd.

Scott

Tony Scello

Second Unit
I agree with Scott W. This is a very nice disc. The video and audio are good but not great. Considering the source material, this may be the best this film is going to look. The disc has a bunch of great supplemental material and even the animated menus are creepy as hell. If your a fan of this movie, I wouldn't hesitate to pick it up.
I have not heard of any new version of this film coming out anytime soon but if your like me, a new, better version will be announced the day after you purchase the current version ;)

Damin J Toell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Damin J. Toell
Considering the source material, this may be the best this film is going to look.
Sadly, word has it that this isn't true. It has been posted before that Pioneer apparently didn't actually use the finalized restored negative for the DVD transfer, and instead they used an earlier lower-quality transfer. It's unclear why this was done, but apparently there's much room for improvement over the current DVD's transfer. Hopefully Pioneer will revisit this sometime (or license it to Elite, as they did for LD) with a proper anamorphic transfer.

DJ

Phil Thron

Second Unit
I've also heard the discussions about the less-than-stellar transfer, but as an owner of the disc I have to add my voice to those recommending purchase.
I've been a huge fan of TCM since I saw it on its initial release to theaters lo those many years ago, and I'm very happy with the DVD version as it stands. The extras are fun and interesting, and I enjoy the sound remix. Damin is probably right about its eventually getting another release, but who knows when that will be? As a fan I can't imagine not having this one...though, as Tony said, and which has happened to me so many times as well, the moment you buy it you'll find the new announcement on the internet. :)
BTW, if you get it, leave it at the menus for a while and do nothing but watch the screen...

Julie K

Screenwriter
I too have to recommend buying this. I do hope a new version will come out but I'm very happy having the current disc to enjoy.

Be sure to listen to the commentary. It's a good one.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks