What's new

How is the Masque of the Red Death? (1 Viewer)

MikeEckman

Screenwriter
Im not a fan of most Vincent Price movies, but MGM released this as a double feature yesterday (8/27) and just wanted to know if theres any reviews online of it. How is the transfer, etc.
Not sure if anyone here has heard of these guys, but there is a gothic metal band from Finland called Theatre of Tragedy, and in one of their better songs, "...And When He Falleth" they use several samples from that movie. Its a pretty cool song.

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I really bought this DVD for the companion film PREMATURE BURIAL which is on a par with Roger Corman's FALL OF THE HOUSE OF USHER and THE PIT AND THE PENDULUM. I don't care for MASQUE OF THE RED DEATH, the plot of which is very thin and which has a quite different look and style from those earlier atmospheric Poe films. The anamorphic 2.35:1 widescreen transfers for both films is excellent. Sound is mono but OK.

Ben Motley

Supporting Actor
Damn money troubles!! I was forcing myself to just two titles this week. Out of Last House on the Left, Return of the Living Dead, The Fog, and Masque of the Red Death/Premature Burial... I went modern, with Last House and ROTLD. :frowning: -sigh- There's always next week though! :D
Oh, and whatchu talkin' 'bout Mike?! Vincent Price rules! :emoji_thumbsup: :D

James Zos

Supporting Actor
I loved Masque of the Red Death when I first saw it and thought it was one of the better Corman/Price/Poe adaptations. Some horror film historians if I am not mistaken consider it a classic.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Put me down as one who loves Masque of the Red Death. Very atmospheric and moody with a very impressive and creative visual style for the film. It is regarded as a classic by most film critics and is usually considered the best of the Corman/Poe cycle. Premature Burial although good is usually considered the weakest in the cycle.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks