How is the Masque of the Red Death?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by MikeEckman, Aug 28, 2002.

1. MikeEckman

MikeEckman Screenwriter

Im not a fan of most Vincent Price movies, but MGM released this as a double feature yesterday (8/27) and just wanted to know if theres any reviews online of it. How is the transfer, etc.
    Not sure if anyone here has heard of these guys, but there is a gothic metal band from Finland called Theatre of Tragedy, and in one of their better songs, "...And When He Falleth" they use several samples from that movie. Its a pretty cool song.

2. Douglas R

Douglas R Cinematographer

Doug
    I really bought this DVD for the companion film PREMATURE BURIAL which is on a par with Roger Corman's FALL OF THE HOUSE OF USHER and THE PIT AND THE PENDULUM. I don't care for MASQUE OF THE RED DEATH, the plot of which is very thin and which has a quite different look and style from those earlier atmospheric Poe films. The anamorphic 2.35:1 widescreen transfers for both films is excellent. Sound is mono but OK.

3. Ben Motley

Ben Motley Supporting Actor

Damn money troubles!! I was forcing myself to just two titles this week. Out of Last House on the Left, Return of the Living Dead, The Fog, and Masque of the Red Death/Premature Burial... I went modern, with Last House and ROTLD. [​IMG] -sigh- There's always next week though! [​IMG]
    Oh, and whatchu talkin' 'bout Mike?! Vincent Price rules! [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. James Zos

James Zos Supporting Actor

I loved Masque of the Red Death when I first saw it and thought it was one of the better Corman/Price/Poe adaptations. Some horror film historians if I am not mistaken consider it a classic.

5. Randy Korstick

Randy Korstick Producer

Put me down as one who loves Masque of the Red Death. Very atmospheric and moody with a very impressive and creative visual style for the film. It is regarded as a classic by most film critics and is usually considered the best of the Corman/Poe cycle. Premature Burial although good is usually considered the weakest in the cycle.

6. James Zos

James Zos Supporting Actor

Nice picture of Lee, Randy!