What's new

How is the LFE channel used in practice? (1 Viewer)

Luke M

Grip
I wonder what the current practice is among soundtrack engineers for using the LFE channel. Is there any logic to it? Or is it completely at the whim of the engineer?

(I know, what difference does it make? Well, I'm just curious).

Jon D

Stunt Coordinator
It mainly is used at the whim of the engineer. The original existence of the LFE was to provide an optional volume boost in the low end of soundtracks. All the bass essential to the 'storytelling' was supposed to be in the main channels, to accomodate theaters that weren't equipped for LFE playback. However, many engineers today place a great deal of the bass in the LFE, for whatever reasons. Once could possibly be that placing bass in the LFE leaves more bandwidth in the mains for the rest of the sound. This seems to be true given the fact that the loudest, deepest (and most bandwidth challenging) bass is in the LFE 99% of the time. But it all depends on who's mixing. Some engineers use the LFE for extra bass emphasis (you'd be suprised how much of the bass in "The Haunting" is in the main channels), while other engineers use it for all the bass content, including the music score.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks