How is the Klipsch KSW 15 Sub?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by BertFalasco, Dec 15, 2001.

1. BertFalasco

BertFalasco Supporting Actor

OK, I live in a town house and I had a neighbor complain to me because I was playing music on WinAmp with my mains. What is a man to do with an SVS?!?! No disrespect to Tom or Ron but I think I have decided I just can't spend almost a $1000 to let an SVS be wasted in my room. So, I would like any input from any owners/users of the KSW 15. Thanks in advance.

-Bert

2. Tom Vodhanel

Tom Vodhanel Cinematographer

Bert,

the ksw15 is a real monster >30hz. But it rolls off rapidly under that.

Depending on the size of your room and the type of bass you're looking for specifically, the HSU VTF-2 and VEL ct150 can both be had in the $399-$449 range on line...they might be worth considering if you're looking for a little more extension.

TV

3. BertFalasco

BertFalasco Supporting Actor

Wow, Tom is up. I'm watching SNL, weird to see people on this late even though you all might live totally other places. Anyways, www.acousticsounddesign.com says its 800 and I doubt it has a built in amp. Is it 300 watts (built in amp?), my reciever is 100x5 like most so should I buy an amp and the site says it's 24Hz? Thanks in advance.
    -Bert
    P.S.- Do you have any recomendations, my room is approx. 11ft (W) 11ft (L) and 10ft (H). What is best value, bass dropping, feel? Thanks again.

4. Sean Conklin

Sean Conklin Screenwriter

I just can't help but think that if your neighbors are complaining about just your mains what are they going to say if you were to get ANY sub? Especially the KSW-15.

I have installed quite a few KSW-15's, 12's and 10's and any of these will not be neighbor friendly. Just get what pleases you and try not to play it too loud when the neighbors are home or if it's too late.

Good Luck

5. Jeremy Hegna

Jeremy Hegna Supporting Actor

I own a KSW-15 and it's treated me well...it's only supplementing the bass of my SVS right now, but I'm going to move it into my living room when my new HT room is complete. Had I known then (when I bought the Klipsch) what I know now, I wouldn't have bought it. It does thump, but there are finer choices at this price point. You control the bass in your system. If you calibrate your sub to a decent level and utilize it's power at decent times of the day, you'll be fine. I wouldn't pick a "lesser" quality sub because of neighborly concerns. I would buy the best sub you can afford on your budget and calibrate accordingly. There are SVS, HSU, and Velodynes available for less than the Klipsch sells for MSRP ($749). I realize that you can buy it for $400-$500, but there are still options available from SVS, HSU, and Vel. My choice would be SVS, but I'm not familiar with HSU.

Jeremy