How is the german Red Sonja?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Carl Johan Rudnert, Nov 15, 2001.

1. Carl Johan Rudnert

Carl Johan Rudnert Auditioning

Does anyone know how the german dvd of Red Sonja is?
    Is there a us dvd comming?
    /Rudnert

2. Will_B

Will_B Producer

I don't know. But I just saw Red Sonja for the first time (maybe saw parts of it long ago) and it was more entertaining than Lord of the Rings. Better sword fights, more Xena-like characters (always a plus), and just generally more entertaining. Low budget, of course, but it has heart.

3. PhilipG

PhilipG Cinematographer

Ah, Red Sonja, one of my guilty pleasures! [​IMG]
    I agree it was more entertaining than TLOTR:TFOTR. Arnie was on top grunting form, and it was a definite precursor to Xena.
    I don't have any news on a US release either, but surely this is a job for Anchor Bay? [​IMG]

4. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

My wife would kill for this film, it's one of her favorites! I wouldn't mind a red-haired pre-boob-job Brigette either. [​IMG]

5. Cees Alons

Cees Alons Moderator

Cees Alons

6. ChristopherM

ChristopherM Stunt Coordinator

Momentum has also released Red Sonja here in the UK (R2 PAL).

Unfortunately, however, it's only available here as part of a Schwarzenegger 4-disc boxed set (with Red Heat, Total Recall and Raw Deal).

If I recall correctly, it's letterboxed widescreen with mono sound and no extras, but I shall check my copy tonight to be sure.

7. Josh Davidson

Josh Davidson Stunt Coordinator

I'd like to see this almost as much as I'd like to see an uncut version of Conan the Destroyer.

8. Steve Christou

Steve Christou Long Member

Steve Christou
    Dunno, but my Germanic Blonde Sonja is blissfully asleep as I type this.[​IMG]
    Sonnyaaa! Sonnyaaa!
    Aaaah yes Red Sonja, an 80's crapathon, and a guilty pleasure for moi, especially when I'm in the mood to cringe nonstop for 90mins, the great Ennio Morricone's music is very good, and Arnold and Brigitte make a good team for this sort of thing, watching both of them reciting the 'script' is actually quite painful, but the spectacular Brigitte swinging that heavy sword at Arnold more than makes up for it.[​IMG]

9. ChristopherM

ChristopherM Stunt Coordinator

Have now checked my UK (R2 PAL) edition. It is in fact anamorphic 2.35:1 with mono sound. There's also a trailer (anamorphic 1.85:1) and a photo gallery.

However, like I said, the disc is exclusive to an Arnie boxed set.

10. Cees Alons

Cees Alons Moderator

Cees Alons
    In Germany all films are dubbed by German speaking voice actors.

I wonder how they do Arnie's accent there! (Austrian would sound too "soft", I'd say; at least: the effect would be quite different).

Cees

11. Uwe.S

Uwe.S Auditioning

But You shouldn´t forget to mention, 99% of german DVD´s also have the original language track on it. So does Red Sonja, who has besides the german track also the US language track, a spanish one and an italian language track. All in mono. The Movie is in 2.35:1 aspect ratio anamorphic. It´s from the german label "Kinowelt", which had in the past a good output of such classics, in great quality also.

Uwe

12. Cees Alons

Cees Alons Moderator

Cees Alons
    Uwe,

You're right of course!

But I still wonder how Arnold's accent was done in theatre showings of his movies. Did they give him an accent? And if so, what sort of?

Cees

13. Hendrik

Hendrik Supporting Actor

...Cees: the one thing that annoys me the most about movies that are dubbed into German is that everyone - Chicago gangsters of Italian descent, New York Jewish intellectuals, street-wise kids from the Bronx, California beach girls, Texas cowboys, Alabama rednecks, the odd Scottish housewife or Irish drunk or Australian sheep shearer - everyone speaks exactly the same geschmacksneutrales Bühnendeutsch... drives me up the wall (it's like having to live on a saltless diet)...
    ...of course, native German-language movies (including those coming from Austria) don't do this: they frequently make good use of the many local accents and dialects that are to be found in those countries - my favorite being Berliner Platt (possibly because it bears some resemblance to plat Amsterdams? [​IMG] )...
    . . . [​IMG] . . .

14. Cees Alons

Cees Alons Moderator

Cees Alons
    Hendrik,