What's new

How is the Diana Krall *Love Scenes* DTS CD? (1 Viewer)

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
The subject basically covers it, though I have a couple other questions and concerns about this disc. I have Love Scenes on CD, and I love the album. Would you rate the DTS CD as an "aggressive mix", meaning are the surrounds used heavily for vocals and instruments? How is the sound quality? The CD sounds incredible. Also, where could I get the best price for the DTS CD online? Best Buy has the disc, but I believe they still sell DTS CDs for around $23.

One concern I have about getting the DTS CD is that Universal could announce Love Scenes on its next SACD release list. Universal seems committed to SACD and is issuing new-release lists for the format frequently these days. Plus, they seem to be committed to putting Krall on SACD, as two of her titles are already available in their relatively small SACD catalog. Oh well. I guess I can't really worry about that too much.

NP: Peter Cetera Solitude/Solitaire

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
It's been a while since I've listened to this dts version, but I thought it sound a bit weird (the instruments showing up in the rear channels didn't quite do it for me), I preferred the 2-channel version.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Keith, as good as the redbook CD sounds, I would hold off on the DTS CD version of Love Scenes. As you said, there has been a good track record for her albums to be released on SACD. I'm another Krall fan (my wife thinks I have a crush on her ;) ), and the current Cd will keep me happy until an SACD hopefully is released.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Patrick, thanks. I would expect the DTS CD of Love Scenes to have an aggressive surround mix since all of my DTS CDs do. Frankly, I don't recall ever reading about a DTS CD that uses the surrounds for ambience.

Rob Gillespie

Senior HTF Member
I don't remember it being 'aggressive' as such. There's quite a bit of reverb added and often it sounds... odd. I certainly didn't get the 'wow' impression from it. I sold it a while ago and kept the (wonderful sounding) regular CD.

There's also a fault on the DTS disc during the track 'They Can't Take That Away From Me'. I can't remember exactly where it is, but there's a 'snap' sound somewhere in there and the same problem was evident on the DTS sampler disc I got ages ago.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Rob, thanks for the mini-review. The production fault you mentioned bothers me. From what I am reading, this disc just doesn't seem to be worth $23 or so. I'll stick with the CD and hope that it comes out on a multi-channel SACD.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation562
Recent bookmarks