What's new

How Is "Technics" Pronounced? (1 Viewer)

Chuck C

Senior HTF Member
you guys know the Panasonic/Quasar/Technics brand...but can you say it right? Is it "Tek-nicks" or "Techniques" ??

Dheiner

Gazoo
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Dhein
Not from a guy in the business.

From calling their customer support phone number: "Thank you for calling the "Tek-neeks" home audio support center."

David Judah

Screenwriter
It reminds me of pronunciations of other Japanese products, like Denon. I've heard some folks pronounce it DEE-non.

Matsushita is another one that I've heard pronounced a variety of different ways.

DJ

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
When Matsushita launched the Technics brand name separately from Panasonic in 1973, the company's initial ad campaign in the audio press featured, up front and in the copy, a line about how the moniker is pronounced. And it is pronounced "tek-neeks."

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Matsushita lauched Technics as its audio brand, and higher-end Panasonic-branded products were rebranded as Technics--the legendary SP-10 direct-drive, armless turntable, for example. The idea was to position these products visibly in the eyes of audiophiles who might not have considered Panasonic seriously.

Panasonic's tagline at this time was "Just slightly ahead of our time."

I don't think Panasonic was even exporting televisions to America in 1973.

Now that home theater has stolen home audio's thunder, the Panasonic brand is better positioned to lead the way. Technics seems to be fading from view.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks