What's new

How is stretched 4:3 viewing on the Panasonic pt-47wx49? (1 Viewer)

James W. Johnson

Screenwriter
How is stretched 4:3 viewing on the Panasonic pt-47wx49? I have looked at it in the store but would like to hear from owners who have had the set for for a good length of time.

Thanks

Sean Conklin

Screenwriter
In support of OAR and integrity of any given film or television broadcast I recommend living with the side bars!
I'm sorry I don't know the answer to your specific question but I'm sure it will look stretched. :)

BradZ

Stunt Coordinator
in my opinion the panny has the worst stretch modes of all the major players. to torture the set and see for yourself, take a videotape of your favorite show or sporting event and have them hook a vcr up to the floor model. VHS is the worst possible source you'll probably use so you'll see what the worst thing can look like- if you can live with it then you should be ok.

James W. Johnson

Screenwriter
in my opinion the panny has the worst stretch modes of all the major players. to torture the set and see for yourself, take a videotape of your favorite show or sporting event and have them hook a vcr up to the floor model. VHS is the worst possible source you'll probably use so you'll see what the worst thing can look like- if you can live with it then you should be ok.

>>>>>>>

Yeah I guess there is going to have to be a compromise of some sort since filling a 16:9 screen with a standard 4:3 signal flat out does not work well.

In your opinion who has the better stretch modes? Maybe i'll just pick oup a 4:3 set.

I wish we would get some sort of guarantee that HDTV will eventually be implemented across the board , this would make the decision alot easier.

BradZ

Stunt Coordinator
my personal opinion is:

1. pioneer

2. Toshiba

3. Sony

4. Hitachi

5. Mitsubishi

6. Panny

I haven't seen all the sets out there, but from these big names that's how I rank them. YMMV. let your own eyes be the judge.

If I was just going to watch DVD and HD, then I think the panny would definitely be at the top of the list for value.

Dylan Savage

Stunt Coordinator
I've seen the panasonic in the store with the stretch modes on, and there are 2 of them.. "Full" and "Just" .. the Just mode looks alot better. You can tell it's stretched, but I got used to it in 5 minutes of viewing and forgot about it. Unless you're a total purist, I don't think it'll matter to you - and if you are, there's always 4:3 just a push-button away :)

Mike I

Supporting Actor
HDTV will become the norm..But whether it be true HDTV or 480p like fox, the digital transition will make widescreen tv the norm..NBC is already doing a couple of their drama's in widescreen which are not HD...Next season they plan on doing more and my guess more HD also.

I am not sure what area of the country your in, but Between dvd and HD over 80% of my viewing is widescreen...Just about all CBS and ABC primetime progamming is HD...Just about all fox primetime programming in widescreen although only 480p..NBC, only has one HD program in primetime this year, but 3 or 4 widescreen dramas...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks