How is Sony 5ES at auto format detection?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Phil Tomaskovic, Mar 19, 2002.

1. Phil Tomaskovic

Phil Tomaskovic Supporting Actor

I have an older Sony 30ES receiver and get frustrated when it clips out the first few seconds of a chapter when I skip to it. Also when playing a CD, the first few seconds are lost when it tries to determine whether it's PCM, Dolby 5.1, etc,.. I know this could be lessened by not using Auto Format Detect, but what's the point of having this surround option then? Funny that if I search backwards or do a chapter skip back to the beginning, it seems like it doesn't have to redetect the format

So is this any better in the 5ES? Or even in last year's 444 or 555 (I assume the 5ES would be as good as last yeat)?

Also is this pretty much the receiver having the function or can the dvd player also contribute to this problem? I have the original Sony 5 dvd carousel and no problems with it other than it has no DTS support.

One more, how are Denon receivers with respect to this issue? Especially, the 3802 and 4802.

Any new prices on the 5ES? J&R did confirm $849 via email.

Thanks

2. Phil Tomaskovic

Phil Tomaskovic Supporting Actor

bump

3. JackS

JackS Supporting Actor

Phil- That was a common problem with many or most receivers of that vintage. The worst I've heard of was the first gen Kenwood in which a switch had to be activated manually when going from DPL to DD. Many people lost their speakers because of this, not to mention a temporary loss of hearing.

4. Joe Tilley

Joe Tilley Supporting Actor

Phil, I have the 5ES and havent had the first problem out of it whatsoever.[​IMG]

5. Will Gatlin Jr

Will Gatlin Jr Stunt Coordinator

Phil...

I have the 555ES, and have not any problems what-so-ever.