1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

How is redbook CD performance on Sony's SACD ce775?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by anthony_b, Oct 24, 2001.

1. anthony_b

anthony_b Screenwriter

How is redbook CD performance on Sony's SACD ce775?

2. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

I have read that redbook CD performance of the SCD-CE775 is average. This doesn't surprise me given that it is not an ES product and it is priced low relative to Sony's ES SACD players. Someone I know and trust posted on Audio Asylum that the Sony SCD-C333ES stereo SACD changer is far superior to the 'CE775 in stereo mode (CDs and stereo SACDs). He owns both and has had time to compare them. The 'C333ES has been discontinued, but may be still available. If you can spend a bit more money, you might consider the 'C333ES or the SCD-C222ES and SCD-C555ES changers. The 'C222ES and 'C555ES are multi-channel SACD changers. If you can still find the 'C333ES, you should be able to get it for $500-600 from OneCall, J&R Music World, or Oade Bros. Oade Bros. is selling the 'C222ES for $600 delivered and the 'C555ES for $800 delivered. You should be able to get OneCall or J&R to match Oade Bros.' price or come close. I just received the 'C555ES from OneCall for $824 delivered and couldn't be happier with it. In any event, the ES models will give you better performance than the 'CE775 in all modes.
    ------------------
    My:
    HT Pics ; Equipment List ; DVD Collection ; LD Collection
    KeithH: Saving the Home Theater World Before Bedtime

3. Greg Robertson

Greg Robertson Stunt Coordinator

No doubt the ES sacd models are better than the CE775, but people aren't buying the 775 because it's the top of the line. I bought it because it's the only way to get into the world of SACD within a reasonable budget. For the money (price vs. performance ratio here), I'd say the CE775 delivers. My own personal experience has been extremely favorable considering this is a $300 component. As for redbook performance, I had a 10 year old kenwood cd player and it blew that away. Ok, not exactly saying much there. But it was also an improvement over using my dvd player as a transport and feeding it into my receiver's dacs. I know I've read positive reviews of the players redbook performance (for the price). It's part of the reason I got it. Unfortunately, I don't remember where I found any of the reviews.
    ------------------
    "Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin

4. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Greg, you are absolutely right, and I realize what the 'CE775 is set out to accomplish. For $300-350, I have no doubt that it is a very capable player. However, for those who might be concerned about its performance, especially when considering CD performance, a format that many have a good amount of money invested in, I will suggest that they look at the ES models.
    ------------------
    My:

5. anthony_b

anthony_b Screenwriter

For CD redbook CD I just picked up a Marantz cc-3000 for $175 at my local hifi dealer. I'll jump into DVD-A or SACD when it's time to purchase my new DVD player. I might get a Marantz SACD/DVD player soon !!!

6. Thomas_Berg

Thomas_Berg Screenwriter

Thomas

7. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Congrats. on the new purchase, Anthony. Hope it works out for you. Although I have not listened to the Marantz carousel CD changers, I have always been impressed with the speed and smoothness of the carousel mechanisms.
    ------------------
    My:

8. Greg Robertson

Greg Robertson Stunt Coordinator

Keith, I agree. The ES models seem to be worth the extra cash. If I could afford it, I'd like to have a 555ES. But for now, I'm glad Sony decided to market a player to people on more of a budget. The fact that I enjoy its cd performance is icing on the cake.
    ------------------
    "Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin

9. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Greg, I am glad to hear you are enjoying CD playback on the 'CE775. As a supporter of SACD, I realize the importance of Sony bringing quality players to the lower price points. Sony has to recognize that it's budget SACD players need to be quality CD players for the price.
    ------------------
    My:

10. Alfonso_M

Alfonso_M Second Unit

I picked up the CE 775 a few weeks back, the redbook sound quality is much better than my old JVC player (I know) but using my Pioneers Elite DAC sounds even better, I also compared regular redbook recordings to the SACD 2ch counterpart, (Davies “Kind of Blue” so far), the SACD eliminated much of the background noise and all instruments sound more natural and clearer, multi channel SACD sounds great too, especially EWF “Gratitude” live recording.
    On the down side the player is a bit slow/noisy when changing/loading discs and I don’t know why Sony decided against the electronic power button, all and all for $ 299.00 you can’t beat this player, later on when more SACD titles become available and prices further come down I can always upgrade to something better, but for now I’m satisfied.

11. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

Alfonso,
    I haven't heard that copy of "Kind of Blue" but your comments make me very suspicious. Tape hiss is a natural occurance on a recording of this age and if it's not there that means some kind of audio trickery was used to remove it.
    Also, if you like that you should look into picking up some of the fantastic DADs that are available. I have the Cannonball Adderly "Something Else" 96/24 PCM DVD-Video disc and it is breathtaking. I think there's one of John Coltrane's "Blue Train" also, but I have the recent Blue Note LP remaster of that so I'm not interested....
    ------------------
    Philip Hamm
    AIM: PhilBiker

12. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Alfonso and Philip, I hear hiss quite readily on the Kind of Blue SACD, but I have not compared the SACD and CD lately. All I can say at this point is that the hiss is readily apparent on the SACD. I've heard some say on Audio Asylum that on some of the older jazz recordings, SACD makes the hiss more obvious, not less, and attribute this to a higher-resolution medium, like a higher-resolution system, bringing out both the good and the bad. I don't have many older jazz recordings on SACD, but again, hiss is very much a part of the experience on these SACDs. Maybe I should do some more comparisons between jazz CDs and SACDs. For all the Miles Davis SACDs I own, I have the current remastered CDs as well. The comparison would be interesting.
    ------------------
    My:
    [Edited last by KeithH on October 25, 2001 at 01:19 PM]

13. Alfonso_M

Alfonso_M Second Unit

Philip:
    Thanks for the Cannonball tip, I’ll check it out, I haven’t heard any 96/24 recordings yet, my Pioneer’s manual claims it will decode it, and the Toshiba 6200 is supposed to pass it through (or maybe even decode it, I’m not sure yet).
    Philip/KeithH
    As far as the “hiss” noise on “Kind of Blue”, I can still hear it on the SACD, but to me is not as pronounced as in my remastered PCM version, but you know, is very difficult doing this comparisons without the proper setup (maybe two 775 units and a good mixer ?), I’m using the CE 775 to play about a minute of the SACD and then quickly switch to disc 2 and play the same sample, it all depends on my “audio memory” at the time, so I could be wrong, when I get some free time I’ll try it again, I’m curious to do the same for Brubecks’ “Take Five”, in any case the hiss doesn’t bother me that much, I follow the instruments and tune out the “hiss” and the SACD version definitely sounds better.(to me of course) [​IMG]

14. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

what is "redbook cd"? just curious...
    ------------------
    "The ship of death has a new captain." - nosferatu (1922)

15. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Alfonso,
    I understand the limitations that are presented in comparing CDs to SACDs. However, a changer makes it a lot easier than the SCD-777ES single-disc player. Not only is it a single-disc player, but the '777ES takes awhile to switch to the proper laser for CDs or SACDs and about 20 seconds to read a disc's TOC. A changer makes such comparisons a lot easier.
    Ted,
    Redbook CD means the standard CD we all are familiar with (16-bit/44.1 PCM). The term 'redbook' refers to the standard that defines the format's specs.
    ------------------
    My: