How is Mad Max ONE from Japan (REGION ONE)?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chris PC, Sep 24, 2001.

1. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

Opps! I meant Region 2 of course. The Mad Max One DVD I'm looking for is from japan. I am interested in this because it has the original Aussie dialouge and you can use or not use the Japanese subtitles. I am considering purchasing it from here:
    http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/detailview.html?KEY=DLT-11170
    Any advice on this DVD and also on this DVD store?
    I will have to play the DVD on my DVD (Region free) until I find a hack for my DVD player.
    [Edited last by Chris PC on September 24, 2001 at 12:56 PM]

2. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

Just so you know, there is supposed to be a R1 release of Mad Max Special Edition in Jan. '02, same day as Buckaroo Banzai. There were threads about each one a couple of weeks ago, including box shots. The info came from MGM's site itself, then mysteriously vanished a couple of days later. But then a press release occurred for BB that said it was coming, more details to follow. My guess is that the site's webmaster sprung the listings too early, and had to temporarily retract them.
    I'd post links to the old threads, but the search function is down, as normal for this time on a weekday! [​IMG] (When's the new server coming in, Ron?)
    ------------------
    DAVE/Memphis
    [​IMG]
    Did you want us to respect your cause? You just damned your cause.
    Did you want to make us fear? You just steeled our resolve.
    Did you want to tear us apart? You just brought us together.
    http://www.miami.com/herald/content/...ocs/000565.htm

3. Matt_Stevens

Matt_Stevens Supporting Actor

MGM's January date is a temp date. It's not official yet and will likely come out later than January 2002.
    The Japanese DVD is quite good, despite it not being anamorphic. The widescreen transfer is excellent and having BOTH soundtracks is a treat. The only bad thing is that some sections of audio for the Australian version are distorted. It's only in a few spots, so no biggie.
    ------------------
    www.deceptions.net/superman

4. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

MGM emailed me, the R1 version will feature the Aussie dialogue remastered to 5.1, while the icky dub remains in mono hell. (original mono mix as well if memory serves)
    CD Japan is highly reputable and I have never gotten anything but outstanding service from them. If you want Japanese DVDs, you can't do much better
    Jeff Kleist

5. Matt_Stevens

Matt_Stevens Supporting Actor

I agree 100% about CD Japan.
    I will buy MGM's DVD if it is, in fact, 16X9. Mono or 5.1, the Aussie dialogue is a must.
    ------------------
    www.deceptions.net/superman