How is impact and slam on SVS subwoofers?

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Haris Ellahi, May 28, 2003.

1. Haris Ellahi

Haris Ellahi Second Unit

I know SVS subwoofers go deep and loud, but can they *HIT* you with bass? I am basically refering to IMPACT and SLAM.

I heard from some people that SVS lacks impact and slam of other subwoofers.

Is this true?

2. Kip Lackey

Kip Lackey Stunt Coordinator

I guess it depends on what your perspective is or what you expect but I can vouch for the impact from a SVS sub. I just received a 20-39PCi and have been absolutely astounded by the bass/impact it produces. In the past three days, I watched various parts of the following movies:

Matrix
    LOTR
    Episode 1 and 2
    The Patriot
    U-571

The Matrix (knee-drop scene, various hand to hand fighting scenes, The Patriot (cannons, musket fire), and U-571 (depth charges) all produce high impact, punchy bass. I mean, these are quick, hard-hitting scenes that you feel with an SVS. If that is what you mean by impact, then the SVS can most certainly provide the "punch you in the chest" type of feel you are looking for. I seriously doubt you will be disappointed. Receiving my SVS has resulted in my re-watching lots of movies and experiencing a completely new level of enjoyment. For example, last night I could have sworn a pod racer zoomed right through my basement!! Just incredible. [​IMG]

3. Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie Lead Actor

The SVS's have a very flat freq response, with no bloat or hump in the 30-40 Hz range that some lesser subs use for more "impact". This is what is commonly mistaken for "slam", but really is booming bass. I found the difference between my SVS and my former boomy sub took a while to get used to, because the SVS only performs when it should and does not color the sound with the 30-40 Hz bloat. Once you get used to it, you realize that the impact is greater when you have power and range all the way down to 20 hz and below and soon learn why "booming" bass is not what you want to hear, just clear, powerfull bass at all frequncies on the soundtrack. If you want the "boom" ah, er, I mean "slam", buy a BFD and an SVS and cook the 30-40 Hz range.

4. Lynn Little

Lynn Little Stunt Coordinator

"I heard from some people that SVS lacks impact and slam of other subwoofers."

I'm sure there are subs that have more impact and slam than SV subs. However, I think you'd be VERY hard pressed to beat their impact and slam at the same PRICE.

I have twin 16-46PC+s in my HT, cost me around $1800, with cables. I run them flat, not even the app. 3dB boost you get from using a RadioShack meter. I use the Auto-MCACC feature of my Pioneer 45TX, which sets them perfectly. I've checked using Avia afterward.

IMO, 2 channel music is a better test for impact and slam than movies. Just the other day, I was listening to 2 channel music and I was thinking about this very subject, impact and slam. The combination of low level extension, impact and slam that these things can produce is freaking incredible! I don't think I could STAND much more impact and slam!

5. Edward J M

Edward J M Cinematographer

Jeff nailed it. "Slam" is usually derived from an artificial emphasis in the 40-50 Hz range. The SVS in-room response is typically quite flat from 80-30 Hz and neither emphasizes nor attenuates any part of the spectrum. I have observed some room gain with my 20-30PC+, but it manifests itself in the 22-23 Hz range, well below the typical "slam" region.

If you want clean, powerful, and accurate (who doesn't), SVS will deliver what the sound engineers intended when they mastered the DVD. If you want artificially induced "slam", look elsewhere.

Regards,

Ed

6. Kip Lackey

Kip Lackey Stunt Coordinator

I did listen to some music the other night as well. AC/DC's Thunderstruck has some really tight drums at the beginning and my 20-39PCi really delivers some "oomph" when they hit. Not sure what music you like but some others that pack a punch are Motley Crue's Kickstart My Heart, Enigma, LL Cool J "Going Back to Cali". The last really produces the "boomy", loud bass you may be looking for and the SVS delivered.

Oh, Metallica "And Justice for All" has some great kick drums as well.

7. Dustin_Taylor

Dustin_Taylor Stunt Coordinator

Haris,

There are many subs out there that do overemphasize middle bass frequencies and lack the ability properly reproduce lower bass frequencies.

It is truely a matter of personal taste. If you are not used to hearing/feeling bass produced accurately, meaning the way the recording engineer intended, it can be quite a different experience. I would feel safe saying that most people who allow enough time for their ears and expectations to adjust prefer an accurate sub.

A sub capable of playing low frequency bass at high volumes with low distortion will give the listener much more tactile sensation than a sub trying to compensate for its inability to accurately produce low bass. It just depends on the source material.

While many subs can produce 'slam' that 'hits' you in the chest, an anacurate sub's bass will 'penetrate' or 'pass though' the listener. If your not used to it, you maybe surprised.

Again I feel safe saying most people, given enough time to adjust to it, people will prefer clean, accurate bass over something that is basically distortion.

Give yourself the opportunity listen to material containg plentiful low bass on a sub that can produce it. That way you can make up your own mind.

DT

8. Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie Lead Actor

Edward,

Yes, the bloat is usually between 40-50 Hz not 30-40. I'm not on my game today, thanks for the correction. :b

9. RichardHOS

RichardHOS Second Unit

Kain,

I have to agree with what others have said. Many subs produce that hump (distorted hump, that is) around 50Hz to make bass seem more "impactful." Most Klipsch subs I've heard followed that design philosophy perfectly.

Listen to something clean and accurate for a while, and you'll probably prefer it.

10. Haris Ellahi

Haris Ellahi Second Unit

Would you guys prefer a Paradigm Reference Servo-15 or a SVS PB2-Plus for home theater?

11. Dustin_Taylor

Dustin_Taylor Stunt Coordinator

Haris,

It is MY guess that the SVS PB2+ would outgun a Servo-15 without breaking much of a sweat. The Servo 15 is a quality sub, but you can do better for the money. Don't just take my word for it, find out yourself.

If you are interested in a SVS PB2+, SVS will allow you to try out the sub for 45 days I believe. Email them some of the questions you are asking here. They will not BS you.

SVS has a HUGE following here. There are two primary reasons for this. MOST people are very with with their SVS products. Even more are happy with the customer service they provide.

Its not like SVS is the only game in town, not at all. They do however have a cult-like following because of their product/price/support. Its a formula that has been very successful up until this point.

DT

12. Chris Tsutsui

Chris Tsutsui Screenwriter

I'm not gonna tell him what type of bass he should listen to but I posted earlier:

I suggest, just for a momement, to forget about shopping for the most impact, slam, and tightness of bass...

For example, some solid state amps can "dry up" the bass, often robbing it of the weight we hear at live concerts. The bass can sound empty. "Weight" can be subtle or strong in its effect on the illusion of music. Weight is fundamental in producing the body of an instrument or voice (palpability). Without weight, the sound is disembodied, lacking believability. Weight is a function of bass quality as well as bloom.

Some audiophiles rave over how "tight" the bass is with transistorized electonics as if tightness alone is a desirable musical attribute. This "tight-ness" is a drying - a shriveling- of the very foundation of music.

Ask yourself if you've ever commented on how tight the bass was at an acoustic concert. How string basses sound in an actual concert hall all gutty, stringy, with resonance.

Along those lines, ask yourself when have you evaluated "slam" in a jazz/blues club or concert hall. Or how about the bass at amplified conerts. It could be like telling a musician that their bass needs to be tighter. (who often use carefully selected tube amps for the full/rich sound)

Now don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to promote Boomy bass. I'm just letting you know that tight bass isn't necessarily best either.

13. Rory Buszka

Rory Buszka Supporting Actor

True bass without distortion just by its very nature has a longer decay time. If you are searching for the "punch", then what you are really searching for is not a subwoofer but a powered midbass speaker. If that's what you're looking for, Bose can provide just what you need.