What's new

How is HDTV doing outside the U.S.? (1 Viewer)

Thik Nongyow

Stunt Coordinator
Since I am familiar with the HDTV situation in the United States, how is the technology doing outside the U.S.? Are countries adapting HDTV in a swift or sluggish rate? Are there technical, economic, cultural problems or roadblocks by governments or the public to adapting HDTV? Finally, what is the international opinion on HDTV in general?

Josh P

Agent
In Australia digital television is just starting to come in. I believe it is hd although there was debate whether it sould be hd or a crappier version so I'm not exactly sure. However it isn't broadcast widely just yet so I personally dont have it.
:frowning:

John-Miles

Screenwriter
In canada its available... but no OTA so your looking at about 75-100 a month to get HD here and thats only a smattering of channels.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
In Australia digital television is just starting to come in. I believe it is hd although there was debate whether it sould be hd or a crappier version so I'm not exactly sure.
I left Oz to return to the States a couple of months ago, and at that time, while you could be HD capable sets, the tuners were not readily available. There were a few things telecast in digital format (such as last summer’s cricket)or widescreen (Weakest Link[/} and a few U.S. imports such as ER), but I am pretty sure nothing in HD. Channel 10 telecast an HD test loop, that a few high-end dealers used to demonstrate the worth of HD sets.

In Oz it was perfectly possible to purchase 16:9 sets that were not HD-capable, unlike here in the States, where new 16:9 sets are all (pretty much?) HD upgradeable.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks