How is Das Boot SB Quality vs Previous Release?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Doug_B, Apr 14, 2003.

1. Doug_B

Doug_B Screenwriter

Sorry if this topic was discussed, but the search function is currently disabled. I am considering buying the SuperBit version of this great movie, but I'd like feedback on the video improvement relative to the previous Dir Cut release. If anyone has seen both on a big screen, I'd be curious of your impressions. I checked out a few minutes of the previous disk on my pj, and it looked pretty good to me (the last time I saw it was on a 35" SDTV). Another $20 is no big deal for such an excellent movie, but I might as well avail myself of the forum's resources.

Thanks.

Doug

2. Ned

Ned Supporting Actor

I saw a bit on my friends 34" toshiba HDTV. It looked pretty good for such a small tv [​IMG]

One huuuuuuge problem is that you only get the subtitled version with 5.1 audio. The dub, which was done by the same actors (and well), is merely dolby surround. A very poor choice in disc design.

3. Dan Rudolph

Dan Rudolph Producer

Also, they left out the commentary. They had two dual-layered discs for three and a half hours of material. You'd think they could have found room for a dd mono track.

4. Galen_V

Galen_V Second Unit

5. Tony Casler

Tony Casler Agent

Is this a Superbit Deluxe set with extras on disc two, or is the movie split across the two discs?

6. Dan Rudolph

Dan Rudolph Producer

It's split.

7. Dave H

Dave H Producer

The Web site should allow you to view each shot side by side at a larger size instead of just one at a time.

8. Doug_B

Doug_B Screenwriter

9. Felix Martinez

Felix Martinez Screenwriter

I have a 92 inch screen, and did not notice a *huge* improvement in quality. There is an improvement, but it's difficult to catch in screen caps - basically the high frequency filter used in the first release to assist compression is not as prevalent (or not used at all) in the Superbit. On some static shots you sometimes can't see a difference in the image, even blown up at 92 inches; however, as details move, temporal sharpness is significantly increased and fine details don't smear in motion. The result is a less eye-fatiguing image on larger displays. If you have a standard TV (around 36 inches) I doubt you will see much of a difference.

Here's my new review, posted yesterday, FYI...

http://www.dvdangle.com/reviews/review.php?Id=3069

Cheers!

10. Bjoern Roy

Bjoern Roy Second Unit

Just posted some thoughts on my site.

I disagree with the 2 reviews here stating that there is no EE. Its as much ringing as every 1.85:1 Col/Tri SB transfer, maybe even as much as on the 2.35:1 ones. Yet, it doesn't really matter as much here, as the film is mostly dark, so the troublesome scenes are far and few between.

11. Oswald Pascual

Oswald Pascual Second Unit

Does the supedrbit have the English Language track in 5.1?

12. Scott Simonian

Scott Simonian Screenwriter

Nope.

German DD 5.1 and DTS 5.1.

13. Joshua_Y

Joshua_Y Screenwriter

Original Language track only for me! [​IMG]

14. JamesHl

JamesHl Supporting Actor

It's an OSL that I can actually understand! A pox on you dub!

15. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Even though the dub uses mostly the original actors, and was done under the best possible conditions there are severe alterations to the dialogue, and given that English is not a native language for most of them it's still bad. Just listen to it in OSL and you'll see and hear Das Boot in the glory it's meant for.

16. Oswald Pascual

Oswald Pascual Second Unit

Actually I have heard it in its original sound track before, and it does give it a nice flavor. However reading the subtitles to me detracts too much from the visual experience of the movie. I do support the idea that all DVD's should come in there original track, I also believe that if there is a good audio track in English it should be included in a region 1 release, specially if there is one that has the originals actors in it!