What's new

How is Das Boot SB Quality vs Previous Release? (1 Viewer)

Doug_B

Screenwriter
Sorry if this topic was discussed, but the search function is currently disabled. I am considering buying the SuperBit version of this great movie, but I'd like feedback on the video improvement relative to the previous Dir Cut release. If anyone has seen both on a big screen, I'd be curious of your impressions. I checked out a few minutes of the previous disk on my pj, and it looked pretty good to me (the last time I saw it was on a 35" SDTV). Another $20 is no big deal for such an excellent movie, but I might as well avail myself of the forum's resources.

Thanks.

Doug

Ned

Supporting Actor
I saw a bit on my friends 34" toshiba HDTV. It looked pretty good for such a small tv :)

One huuuuuuge problem is that you only get the subtitled version with 5.1 audio. The dub, which was done by the same actors (and well), is merely dolby surround. A very poor choice in disc design.

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
Also, they left out the commentary. They had two dual-layered discs for three and a half hours of material. You'd think they could have found room for a dd mono track.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
The Web site should allow you to view each shot side by side at a larger size instead of just one at a time.

Doug_B

Screenwriter
One huuuuuuge problem is that you only get the subtitled version with 5.1 audio. The dub, which was done by the same actors (and well), is merely dolby surround. A very poor choice in disc design.
This is a bummer. Guess I should have looked at the DVD Profiler profile I downloaded, because I totally missed that the dubbed version is only dolby surround. The review linked above doesn't even mention this, and even the review on The Digital Bits mentions that the 5.1 tracks are in German, leaving it to the reader to infer that there's no English 5.1 track. I was very happy with the dubbed 5.1 track on the original, so I'm not sure I would like going to subtitles for the DTS track. Maybe I'll wait 2 years for the HD version :) .

Thanks.

Doug

Felix Martinez

Screenwriter
Real Name
Felix E. Martinez
I have a 92 inch screen, and did not notice a *huge* improvement in quality. There is an improvement, but it's difficult to catch in screen caps - basically the high frequency filter used in the first release to assist compression is not as prevalent (or not used at all) in the Superbit. On some static shots you sometimes can't see a difference in the image, even blown up at 92 inches; however, as details move, temporal sharpness is significantly increased and fine details don't smear in motion. The result is a less eye-fatiguing image on larger displays. If you have a standard TV (around 36 inches) I doubt you will see much of a difference.

Here's my new review, posted yesterday, FYI...

http://www.dvdangle.com/reviews/review.php?Id=3069

Cheers!

Bjoern Roy

Second Unit
Just posted some thoughts on my site.

I disagree with the 2 reviews here stating that there is no EE. Its as much ringing as every 1.85:1 Col/Tri SB transfer, maybe even as much as on the 2.35:1 ones. Yet, it doesn't really matter as much here, as the film is mostly dark, so the troublesome scenes are far and few between.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Even though the dub uses mostly the original actors, and was done under the best possible conditions there are severe alterations to the dialogue, and given that English is not a native language for most of them it's still bad. Just listen to it in OSL and you'll see and hear Das Boot in the glory it's meant for.

Oswald Pascual

Second Unit
Real Name
No Name
Actually I have heard it in its original sound track before, and it does give it a nice flavor. However reading the subtitles to me detracts too much from the visual experience of the movie. I do support the idea that all DVD's should come in there original track, I also believe that if there is a good audio track in English it should be included in a region 1 release, specially if there is one that has the originals actors in it!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks