How Is BLADERUNNER on DVD?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Larry Sutliff, Sep 25, 2003.

1. Larry Sutliff

Larry Sutliff Cinematographer

I've been waiting on a special edition of this one forever(I know, join the club) and I'm really hankerin' to see this movie again. I would just buy the current DVD, but it's one of those from Warners first batch, many of which are absolutely terrible transfers(BATMAN, BATMAN RETURNS,etc.).

Is the current DVD as poor as the BATMAN DVD? If so, I'll just keep on waiting. But if it's at least adequate, I'll just pull the trigger and buy it. Thanks for any info!

2. Jim_K

Jim_K Executive Producer

I'd like to tell you to hold off for the SE, but seeing as how it's tangled up in legal hell it could be years before we see it.

I think it's a passable early generation disc. If you're a big fan then it should be a no brainer.

3. Larry Sutliff

Thanks, guys![​IMG]

4. Bill Burns

Bill Burns Supporting Actor

It's the extended cut (no narration), 16x9 formatted widescreen, so it should look acceptable on a small display. I haven't watched it in years, but I recall it looking much better than Batman, which was poorly compressed (shadows held up at 32" in Blade Runner, but occasionally became blocky/digitized in Batman, and I seem to recall overall black level appearing superior in the former as well). The credits in Blade Runner reveal quite a bit of that ol' "nervous gate" syndrome (twittering, jumping back and forth).

Yes, I've read most of Future Noir; no, I still don't know if there's any one "truly" definitive cut of this film. The SE will hopefully include multiple cuts (if it ever finds its way to DVD -- here's hoping [​IMG] ).

5. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

It would seem to me that if you love the film and what with this being the only DVD version available, well, then it's a no-brainer. I was looking at it recently and thinking how good it is compared with other first-generation DVD releases. Even the sound is acceptable.

6. Zen Butler

Zen Butler Producer

Zen K. Butler
    I'm with Jack. If you like the film the dvd is a great tide-me-over. I would say it's as "definitive" as it can be. Being that it's the Director's Cut (complete with Mr. Scott's after thoughts [​IMG]).

Future Noir is a must companion. Feel free to check the link in my signature for any news regarding the SE(btw, there is no news). Or you may refer to the Jack Briggs induced Official Blade Runner SE Thread

For which we always await input from Mr. Charlie de Lauzirika.

On to the disc:
    Understand that many die hard fans of the movie have dealt with subpar VHS copies for years. My International version, complete with VO and added minutes has seen better days. So for many of us, Blade Runner DC induced the purchase of our first dvd players. The picture is pretty damn good, but not stellar. It's 2.35:1 picture/transfer is an added improvent. Even a bit better than now rotting LD copies, CC and WB. The 2.0 Dolby is fine, not tons of action in the surrounds but still acceptable. It is worth a purchase while legalities are worked out and until we get our "Shut the Hell Up" Edition. The versions to be include on the SE is still fuzzy. But I have heard:
    1. Director's Cut (remaster?)
    2. International or Original Theatrical (both have VO)
    3. Workprint (San Diego?)

7. Jack Briggs

While we're at it, Zen, is there anywhere on the Web that offers a definitive explanation of where matters stand for the SE? This has to be the most-delayed DVD release ever. All the work on it has to have been finished for some time.

8. Magnus Nord

Magnus Nord Agent

BRmovie.com

Try that one Jack.

Have a nice day, i want this release as much as everyone else [​IMG]

9. Jack Briggs

Thanks, Magnus. And welcome to the board.

10. Larry Sutliff

Thanks for all of the info and links,guys!

11. Dennis Pagoulatos

Dennis Pagoulatos Supporting Actor

Dennis
    At this point they may as well wait and just release it in HD-DVD! [​IMG]

-Dennis

12. Charles de Lauzirika

Insider

13. Jack Briggs

Well, thanks for weighing in Charlie (and clearing things a bit). Please kindly post here whenever you hear anything you can pass on to this film's many fans!

14. Magnus T

Magnus T Supporting Actor

What legal problems is there exactly concerning Blade Runner?

15. Jim_K

Jim_K Executive Producer

Thanks for the update Charlie,

This confirms the rumors I've heard elsewere & is really sad news. [​IMG] If this set was already done then there would be a much bigger incentive to get these legal issues cleared up in a timely manner. As is I now don't expect to see this set (if ever) for many years. [​IMG]

This is a huge disappointment after waiting all these years.

16. Gordon McMurphy

Gordon McMurphy Producer

Oh, man. [​IMG]

When's the next Warner chat?

Gordy

17. oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx Lead Actor

Good to hear from you Charlie about this DVD, too bad it is not what we would like to hear. Oh well, I will go and watch the current dvd

[​IMG]

18. AnitaPeterson

AnitaPeterson Stunt Coordinator

You know... considering the complicated situation of the Star Wars Original Trilogy, which was put on DVD by entrepreneurial Asian pirates, I wonder how come the theatrical Blade Runner hasn't been yet submitted to the same treatment....

19. Edward Schatz

Edward Schatz Second Unit

Is there anything we (members) can do to encourage the respective parties (whoever they may be) to clear the legal hurdles? I get the impression that Warner Bros. isn't even pursuing the matter anymore.