How is Best Buy's DVD Selection?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Joshua Clinard, Sep 22, 2004.

1. Joshua Clinard

Joshua Clinard Screenwriter

Joshua Clinard
    Best Buy will soon be moving into my area, and I'm really excited, because I can hardly ever find what I want at Wal-Mart or Circuit City. Most of the time, a DVD will only be available in Widescreen if it's a new or recent release. If a title is more than 2 months old, the widescreen version will have been completely sold out, and sometimes they are gone within a week! There are about 6 copies of WS Star Wars left at Wal-Mart!

I have shopped at Best Buy before when visiting big cities, and found their DVD selection to be great. I've only been to a few select stores though, and not very often. So I'd like you all to comment on your store's selection of catalog DVD's, and if they are usually available in widescreen. Because I really hate shopping on the internet. But if Best Buy will not be any better than Wal-Mart or Circuit City, I will have to start buying my DVDs on the internet. And I'm not interested in hearing your horror stories. I know they exist. I just want to know about DVD selection, especially concerning widescreen availability.

2. Rob Gardiner

Rob Gardiner Cinematographer

Can't speak for Circuit City, but in my experience Best Buy has a FAR GREATER selection than Wal-Mart. On my last trip to BB (in Santa Rosa, CA) I picked up FREAKS and an anime box set. Both were reasonably priced, too.
    Enjoy!

3. Joshua Clinard

Joshua Clinard
    Why was my thread moved into the Retail/Vendors Feedback area? I'm not trying to give Best Buy any feedback or suggestions. I just want to know how their selection stacks up to the competion. I think I was right to put this in the software area. I have seen many threads regarding Wal-Mart not stocking Widescreen in the software section, and none of them have beemn moved.

4. WillG

WillG Producer

I think Best Buy is pretty good. Their DVD shelves are way more organized than Circuit City (good luck finding some random title you want there)

They seem especially good at keeping DVD on TV titles stocked as well. Circuit City (at least the one near me)just plain sucks in this department. A lot of the time, new release TV on DVD titles that should be at least moderately popular does not get stocked there.

I think you should be happy with Best Buy. With the above reasons and that you should not have much trouble finding Widescreen versions as opposed to Wal*Mart.

Of course, some of the more under the radar catalog titles you will be hard pressed to find anywhere but online.

5. Ryan Wishton

Ryan Wishton Screenwriter

My Best Buy has an amazing DVD selection. Best of anywhere in the area. They have Aisles dedicated to just TV on DVD.

Though we live in a test market area with tons and tons of stores, so our Best Buy might just a bigger selection than others.

They even carry hard to find stuff mostly no one else in a store carries.

6. Kyle McKnight

Kyle McKnight Cinematographer

I love the DVD selection at my Best Buy. Always fun to browse.

Josh, I'd guess it was moved since you're looking for feedback on a retailer.

7. Dave Farley

Dave Farley Second Unit

Best Buy has the best selection in my area by far. Their DVD section is more than double the size of the local Circuit City. I'm impressed with their selection and large inventory.

You're not going to like their DVD return policy. That is, unless what they do here(or no longer do in my case[​IMG])is not nationwide policy.

8. JustinCleveland

JustinCleveland Cinematographer

Justin Cleveland
    Best Buy varies on their selection from store to store... the one in Appleton, a medium-sized city, has a decent selection, yet the stores in Madison, Milwaukee, and Burbank, IL all had a lot more. But for catalogue titles you're going to want to shop on the Internet because you'll get a lot better prices. I picked up Ghost World for 15 last December on an impulse then got home and saw it on Amazon for 10.

9. MarkHarrison

MarkHarrison Supporting Actor

Where I live the Best Buy selection blows Circuit City out of the water. They're not even in the same league. Best Buy is the best retailer my area by a long shot. And if they don't have it, I make the 20 minutes drive to Fry's. [​IMG]

10. RyanAn

RyanAn Screenwriter

Best Buy's, especially new ones, look beautiful, and are organized quite well. They ARE the store. Luckily, they are keen on Widescreen, as they know that it is the original format. The Star Wars stand on Tuesday for example had 75% Widescreen, and 25% Fullscreen, which were on the bottom. [​IMG]

Ryan

11. Tim_C

Tim_C Stunt Coordinator

A great store, in my opinion. I'm just about to head out and pick up "La Dolce Vita" and "Spartacus: Criterion Collection" there. They're both reasonably priced and not available at any of the other stores in my area (except for Media Play, which is usually quite over-priced.) They mostly carry widescreen films and have prices to compete with most online stores, in my opinion.

12. Joshua Clinard

Joshua Clinard
    Thanks for the info, guys. Keep the responses coming.