What's new

How is accuracy determined? (1 Viewer)

Rick Radford

Supporting Actor
Understanding that some like a warmer sounding speaker and some prefer brighter, there are those who say they prefer accurate speakers as if that differentiates a 3rd tier.

Seeing that all the above criteria appears subjective at best, how is "accuracy" determined?

It would seem to me that accurate to my ears might be bright or warm to someone else's.

Is there some general consensus of what defines "accuracy?"

Steve_Ma

Second Unit
Rick,

Good point here. IMHO, "accuaracy" in a HT setup is (practically speaking) kind of a joke. With so many speakers, components, power sources, and etc....How can we mortals truely evaluate "accuracy?" Here is what I do:

Over the years, I have grown accustomed to certain music, artists and even individual songs. After repeated lsitening through various setups, I know how some material "should" sound. Various aspects of the material are consistent. Whenever I go to a friends home or audition equipment, I take farmiliar software/music with me. That is the only way I can tell if certain equipment is "accurate" or not. When I hear something that jumps out at me and is outside the norm or if something seems lacking, I label that as "innacurate." Maybe the kick drum won't articulate, or the clash of the cymbal lingers to long. Maybe certain notes seem to stretch out or linger.

As subjective and non-scientific as it is, that's the best I can do.

--S

Martice

Screenwriter
Accuracy is perception. However, emotional accuracy as determined by a group of people coming to the same conclusion ultimately will determine how accurate something is by way of feeling and emotion.

If accuracy can be determined via science or by calculations it is therefore proven and determined accurate.

If accuracy is to be determined by opinion than we can only determnine if something is more accurate or less accurate and that is by vote of opinion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks