How is A League of Their Own DVD?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by MikeEckman, Jun 3, 2002.

1. MikeEckman

MikeEckman Screenwriter

I am considering getting the A League of Their Own DVD since DDD has it for under $10, and it claims to be 16x9 enhanced. My question is, how is the video/audio quality. I own a couple of Columbias cheap $10 discs and some look outstanding and others leave a bit to be desired. Anyone?

2. MattGuyOR

MattGuyOR Stunt Coordinator

The quality is pretty good. For a movie released when dvd started, it looks great. Sounds is decent Dolby Surround. But I'd wait, because it looks like sometimes this summer (July/August) there will be a new special edition coming out and it's sure to be in at least dolby digital with a lot or extras. The disc out now is bare bones release.

3. MikeEckman

MikeEckman Screenwriter

Oh theres an SE coming out soon? Well, I'll wait then. I'm not a huge fan of supplements, but if the video quality is going to be improved and a new 5.1 soundtrack, then it will be worth it.

4. Brian McHale

Brian McHale Supporting Actor

Brian McHale
    Generally, I don't care about extras all that much. This movie, however, just screams out for a documentary on the history of the women's league. There aren't very many movies that already have a good anamorphic transfer and sell for $10 that I'd hold out for, but this is one.

5. Chad R

Chad R Cinematographer

Chad Rouch
    I've been holding out for a SE simply for a better transfer, better soundtrack and better packaging. A doc on the league's history would be nice, but I want a better looking movie.

6. Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson Lead Actor

A documentary already exists. It appeared on one of the LD releases of the film...

7. Adam_WM

Adam_WM Screenwriter

I'll just pass this on. I read somewhere that Penny Marshall was on Rosie not too long ago and mentioned that the SE was in the works. She mentioned that she was trying to round up a bunch of the cast members for the commentary.